Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Home for the Holidays

We have returned from our 11 day vacation in Arizona.  And I want to go back right now.  I'm not kidding.  We went from sunny weather of 60-70 degrees to frigid, biting cold in Virginia.  This morning, at 8:30am...it was 7 degrees but with wind chill, felt like -5 degrees.  Hello!  I thought I lived in Virginia....NOT the arctic!  I realize that places to the north of us are having a FAR worse go of things but seriously....it was quite the rude shock to come home to.

Our trip to AZ was absolutely wonderful.  I can't remember a better time.  Right away, I must thank all of the family friends who graciously let my parents borrow 2 pack n' plays, 2 car seats, a bouncy seat, and a booster seater.  It is amazing the gear you need to travel with little ones and without your help, we would have been up a creek so thank you!  I also have to thank the family who so generously watched our house, took care of our cats, woke up at obscene times to take us to the airport and picked us up when we came home.  You are all amazing!!!!!

Before I go further, while I have already wished one and all a very Merry Christmas, I thought I would share this little clip with you...as we are still in the Christmas season.  Our first Sunday in AZ, my dad asked us to join my family and another family and sing at my parents' church.  Kind of a "Harris/Pedersen/Gardner/Tinsley Von Trapp Family Singers"to do.  :)  I thought we did pretty well...considering that at least 3 of us (my sister, Dave, and myself...and maybe others) had just been handed the music an hour before.  :)  There may be a future for us!

My parents spent their 40th wedding anniversary this past summer in Europe.  :)  This time, they visited Belgium and became infatuated with Belgium Stew....and beer.  :)  Our Christmas celebration at their house involved one of the most delicious stews I have ever had (truly amazing, mom!!)....and a Belgium beer tasting....which made one and all QUITE merry!  :)

A trip to AZ these days would not be complete without a trip to the McCormick Railroad Park in Scottsdale.  Especially when you have boys obsessed with trains!!!!  It was a beautiful evening and little Jeffery was in heaven!
How I miss Arizona sunsets!
The Pedersen Family
Walkin the tracks with Oma
Oma and Papa and Jeffery
Another "must" while visiting AZ is to go to the Boyce Thompson Arboretum.  It is about an hour north east of where my parents live and is one of the prettiest places in AZ.  We went 2 years ago and Dave insisted that we return.
Papa and Jeffery
Oma and Jeffery
The stunning view
Same spot...2 years apart.  Jeffery in the top picture, Jakob in the bottom.
Mama and her boys
Oma and Jeffery making the suspension bridge shake by jumping up and down!
A pretty perfect saguaro
The desert agrees with him!
We had a lot of activity during our trip to AZ....but also a lot of down time.  I think Dave spent 3 or 4 afternoons (I'm talking whole afternoons) sitting in the backyard...smoking pipes or cigars and talking with my dad.  Sometimes Jeffery even joined the throng.  :)


Other times, Jeffery was whisked away for his own outings.....like to the Arizona Museum for Youth with me and my mom.  He had a fantastic time building towers with large blocks and then knocking them down, eating fake food, and drawing on white board walls.  Kid heaven!  Afterward, we treated ourselves to a delicious lunch at one of my favorite spots in downtown Mesa.


And other times were just spent having fun at my parents' house.  My mom brought down some of my old toys and Jeffery just had a ball playing with them....putting together his new puzzles with Oma....riding the horsey....and watching Papa's trains.






Dave and I even had a little time to ourselves.  My mom and dad would watch the boys and we would slip away....to Mass (how lovely to actually be able to pay attention to Mass and pray and reflect and not be relegated to the cry room)...or to the Salt River area near my parents' house.  Dave did a little birding while I marveled at how pretty the desert can be.  
Red Mountain - my favorite in the valley
Fall/Winter Foliage and Four Peaks
Coons Bluff
New Year's Eve was spent with my whole family as my sister came and spent the night.  We ate and Dave made margaritas and we laughed so hard my sides hurt.  It was one of the funniest evenings we've had in a long time.

On New Year's Day, after Dave and I came home from Mass, the family headed out for a hike in the desert.  We had a great time...though we didn't make it far.  #1) Our toddler quickly tired out.  #2) I forgot to bring a bjorn or any kind of baby carrier for Jakob.  Reason #5405 why you should marry an Eagle Scout.  He quickly rigged up a solution using the backpack my dad was carrying and voila! Instant baby carrier!
Superstitions behind me and Jakob
Harris/Pedersen family
We went back to the Railroad park in Scottsdale that evening.....to ride their small train!  I think Jeffery thought it was the best day of his life.  It's the 3rd time he's been on the train...not that he remembers the other 2 trips...and Jakob's first time.  They had special lights up for Christmas...and it even "snowed" on us.  It was truly magical!!!!
Excited boys for the train ride
Waiting for the train
The Harris Girls + Jakob
Here comes the train!
All Aboard!!!!
The next day, the Pedersen family went down to Tubac, AZ to visit our dear friends (and Jeffery's godparents), Jason and Barbara Winfield.  They have recently opened up a store down there and moved from NM.  Tubac is only about 2 hours away so we made a day trip to visit them.  While we were down there, we were only a few miles away from the Mexico border and only 5 miles away from Tumacacori Mission...founded by Father Kino.  We said hello to our friends (who still had a store to run that day) and after a little while, went to visit the mission.  It is a beautiful mission...in ruins these days...but still speaks so poignantly to the austere and harsh life these priests/missionaries faced.


On the steps to the altar
Inside of the church
Tumacacori Mission
We finished our journey south by having one of the best dinners we've had with Jason and Barbara.  I met Jason my 1st day of college as we had a class together.  Dave met Jason that same year and Jason introduced Dave to me the following year.  He was our best man at our wedding.  He and Barbara are Jeffery's godparents.  And we were in their wedding.  So many wonderful memories have been made with these two precious people.  It was wonderful to see them again!




One of the highlights of the trip had to be our adventure to the Wildlife World Zoo and Aquarium in the West Valley.  To give you an idea of how big the "Valley" is....my dad drove over 100 miles roundtrip that day.  Yikes!  But everyone had a wonderful time and were amazed at the sights to see.  We touched Manta Rays...yes, TOUCHED...., had Lorakeets land on us and eat from our hands, saw White Tigers, laughed at Gibbons playing, and fed giraffes!  It was an amazing place and I HIGHLY recommend it!!!!!









I was also able to check a few things off of my "must do" list.  #1) See some of my bosom friends and kindred spirits from Junior High and High School.  Dave and I took the boys to my friend Kelli's house and had dinner with her family and our good friend Allison and her husband.  It was so wonderful to see these girls again and remember some pretty wonderful times.  I am always amazed at how many wonderful memories I have of Junior High and High School.  I was very blessed.

#2) Eat at Tia Rosa's.  Because this is something that you MUST do when visiting my parents.  :)  Bliss!!!  I am convinced that if you are good, heaven is dinner and margaritas at Tia Rosa's.  ;)

Before we realized it, 11 days had flown by and it was time to return home.  It was time to leave pools and citrus trees behind....time to trade flip flops for warm socks....time for our eyes to see bare oak trees and hills instead of brown desert and mountains.

And time to lose 4 extra hands to help deal with the boys.  What a blessing it was to spend those 11 days with Oma and Papa and see Aunt Julie and some of our friends.  What a blessing it was to see beautiful sunsets and mountains and be able to see off into the distance for miles upon miles.  What a blessing it was to hear Jeffery go through "Roll Call" almost every day...sometimes multiple times a day...and call out "Oma?  Papa?  Mommy? Daddy?" and point out time tunnels to Oma (till her ears rang) and tell Papa that he was "full of baloney" and laugh at his joke.  

The holidays are supposed to be spent with family....be that immediate family or family you create for yourself.  That time adds a level of joy and warmth and love that just cannot be found at other times of the year.  There is something so magical about being with loved ones around Christmas and New Years.  Out of almost 12 years of marriage....we've only had 2 Christmases that we've spent on our own.  I do NOT take that for granted.

2014 has started on a wonderful note.  Thanks be to God!

No comments: