I had my now weekly doctors appt this past Friday. It had been a relatively smooth week, during which I had not felt anything out of the ordinary. Imagine my surprise when my doctor said (without going into too much detail for you all) that I am progressing. She looked shocked and I'm pretty sure that I resembled the famous image below.....
She assured me (were those crossed fingers I saw behind her back????) that she would see me next Friday for my already schedule appt but that as I am 38 weeks tomorrow....I really could go any day! I left the appt with my mind spinning as I thought about everything that still needed to be done to prepare for Stig's arrival. And then I realized that I had nothing prepared for Jeffery. When you live across the country from your family, it is imperative to have a good circle of friends that you can rely on in times like this. We have a Plan A and a Plan B and even a Plan C when it comes to who will take care of Jeffery (at any time of the day or night....God bless them all!!!) when I go into labor and Dave and I actually have to go to the hospital. But I didn't have a bag packed for him or instructions printed out or food put together. I suddenly felt like a very inept mother.
The priests at our church came over last night to bless our house (really a lovely little ceremony) and have dinner with us. After they were done blessing the house, they then offered to give me the Blessing for Expectant Mothers. That was a beautiful blessing....HOWEVER...I have since made a mental note that if we are blessed with more children in the future, to not have this blessing done until I am very close to the actual due date. I think they inspired Stig to consider an early entrance. Again, without going into detail, I am 99% sure that things are progressing even more so than just a couple days ago and that I will be lucky to see 39 weeks without having delivered. I could totally be wrong (and I hope I am) but, obviously, time will tell.
So.......
* Dave looks at me with renewed awe and wonder and every morning asks, "Is today going to be the day?". Not that his week isn't already busy. He has auditions for UR choir tomorrow and Tuesday and then UR officially starts back on Wednesday night with his first rehearsal.
* And my Doula?! Well....she and her family are currently en route to a much needed vacation down in the OBX (the outer banks...for those of you unfamiliar with VA/NC lingo) until the middle of the week and then she has her Doula training course next weekend.
* And my mom?! Well, because of amazing air fare, she opted to make firm flight reservations instead of last minute plans (my dad will be the one making the last minute plans for himself) and isn't scheduled to arrive until just a few days before Stig is officially due.
The short of the long is that Stig really really really needs to stay put until at least next Monday. That gets Dave through his first UR rehearsal, my doula back in town and through her training (which I have signed up to participate in), and closer to the date that my mom arrives.
Again....and rather obviously....time will tell! :)

No comments:
Post a Comment