HE'S HERE!!!!!!
Jeffery Thomas Pedersen (formerly known to one and all as "Oggie") made his debut in the world on July 5, 2011. He was 5 days early but we could not be happier that he decided to come when he did as we've loved every second we've had with him.
The July 4th Weekend started off with no fireworks in the Pedersen household. We went to a play the kids at our church put on, attended church, and planned to attend an old fashioned July 4th parade up in Ashland. By the evening of July 3rd however, I was not feeling good. I thought I was just having some discomfort but when that discomfort started to come every 8-10 minutes...and I barely got a wink of sleep...I realized something else was afoot. Monday (the 4th of July) is basically a blur at this point. I alerted my parents that I was probably in labor and had been since Sunday night and they started to make the arrangements to get to VA as soon as possible. I called the on-call doctor who said that I probably just had a virus of some sort but that I could come in if I wanted to and they could check to see if things had been progressing....which as of my doctor's appt the week before, NOTHING had been happening.
By 5 pm on Monday, July 4th...I could no longer talk or walk through the contractions and my earlier bouts of productivity (like cleaning the microwave or doing laundry...true story!) were gone but the contractions were still 8-10 minutes apart. Now, we learned in our childbirth class that you really should wait to go to the hospital until 1) your water breaks or 2) contractions are 5 minutes apart. However, I couldn't stand it any longer and so Dave and I made the 3 minute trek to the hospital and I was admitted at 5:30 pm. We both fully expected them to say that I was maybe 1-2 cm dilated and send me home....so imagine our surprise when they told us that I was 6-7 cm dilated and was going nowhere!!! :)
I had decided to go without drugs for as long as possible....which, knowing me....I did not anticipate would be very long. :) The doctor broke my water at 11 pm and by the time I desperately wanted the drugs...there wouldn't have been enough time to have them start working before they predicted that I would deliver the baby. So...I had a completely "natural childbirth".....something I would NEVER, EVER, EVER have expected me to do. Dave -- Dave was absolutely amazing as my labor coach. I would have been utterly lost without him. He was so patient and calm and was always able to redirect my increasing panic and get me breathing again. He was and is my hero!!!
We tried, in vain, to have a 4th of July baby. My Grandpa Sell's birthday was the 4th of July and we just thought it would be really neat but...it was not to be. An hour after they broke my water, it was July 5th...and after 45 minutes of pushing....Jeffery Thomas entered the world. I never used to believe in "love at first sight"....but I am a true believer now. :) After cleaning him up, they put our little Jeffy into Dave's arms and at the sound of Dave's voice, Jeffy instantly calmed down.
My mom and dad flew the Red Eye flight (all night) and made it to the hospital before Jeffery had celebrated his 10 hour birthday. Unreal!!!! I love my parents and miss them all the time....but I don't think I've ever been happier to see them than I was that day. And I don't think I have ever been as proud of myself as I was when I first saw them hold their grandson.

Grandma Jean (she and my dad still have to decide what they want to be called). The blanket on the chair behind her is a present from my sister -- Aunt Julie. She was fervently finishing it just hours before taking my parents to the airport. It is absolutely beautiful!


I don't think anything has ever come as naturally to Dave as being a Daddy. He is amazing with his new son and is so excited about learning all sorts of comforting tricks like swaddling and shhhing. We agree that Jeffery has Dave's nose and my lips.....hair color is still up for debate though we're starting to think it might be red. :)


Here is Jeffery in his bassinet at the hospital -- which he hated!!! :) He is in the midst of a "mad cry" and wearing his Strawberry Hat that Grandma Jean brought for him. All of the nurses stopped in at one point or another to see the Strawberry hat....it was quite popular.


On a side note...a quick explanation regarding his name. The first name is, in my opinion, rather obvious. :) The middle name is after my favorite male Saint and a favorite of Dave's: St. Thomas More. If you would like to learn more about St. Thomas More, click here.
My dad has a new toy -- an iphone. I don't think I've ever been so thankful for a "smart phone" as this past week as my dad was able to take video after video of our new little boy. Here is one from the hospital.
Two days after he was born, we left the hospital and the AMAZING nurses and support staff. I will admit to being a little overwhelmed at the thought of carrying on without their advice and encouragement and support but what waited for us at home (my parents....and a champagne toast!) was even better!!!!

Dave walking up our sidewalk with his son.

Socks...and Buster for that matter...were NOT thrilled about the new arrival (though they have since learned to not care).

Dave walking up our sidewalk with his son.
Socks...and Buster for that matter...were NOT thrilled about the new arrival (though they have since learned to not care).

After everything that has happened in the past 3 years, words cannot describe the emotions I had as I sat in my house with little Jeffery on my lap for the first time.
My dad and Dave have always shared toasts of Bekerovka (a czech liquor) but I don't think there has been one that was quite as celebratory as their first toast in honor of Jeffery Thomas. Dave and Grandpa Jeffery salute you, Jeffy!!!!
And just like that....our family of 2 was a family of 3. :)

2 comments:
so Nickel Creek started on your player when I clicked over and I let it play through as I looked at these pictures and read your words and it had me in tears.
Oh woman! I am so THRILLED for you, wee Jeffy is beautiful and seeing your family so thrilled and excited is so amazing.
Much love from AZ and Jeffy's long distance buddy Zeke!
Okay, you made me cry. I'm so happy for you to finally have your handsome boy in the world with you. Can't wait to read more about your adventures and Jeffy grows up.
Post a Comment