Thursday, July 14, 2011

A Week of Firsts

I cannot believe that little Jeffy has already been with us for a week and a half. Already, we have seen such growth in our little boy. When he was born, he was 7 lbs and 2 oz and 20 inches long. I don't know about his length at this point....but the pediatrician yesterday was ecstatic that he now weighs 7 lbs 5 oz....he has gained 10 oz in the past 5 days (he had gone down to 6 lbs, 10 oz while we were at the hospital). She was hoping for a weight increase of at least 2 oz...and here he had gained 10!!! I feel like he is growing in front of our eyes. :)

It has been a week of "firsts". Big Surprise, eh?! :) Here are some.....

His first time in his bouncy seat. Our good friend gave us this seat and Jeffy LOVES it!!!

His first tummy time with Daddy. Dave practically itches to be with his little son and they both love to have tummy time and cuddle.

The first celebratory dinner with Grandpa and Grandma Harris. Of course....we chose to grill steaks....and of course the worst driving rain storm we've had in 2011 would come just as we started to grill. My mom and I couldn't help but laugh at this sight. :) Needless to say, they both had to change before they could eat as, even with the umbrellas, they were pretty wet.

Jeffy's first bath. We have the tummy tub....which I wrote about in an earlier post...but we had to wait until his cord fell off to use it. Doesn't he look thrilled?!

Ahhhh....much better now.

First viewing of a NASCAR race with Grandpa Jeff. :)

First visit from extended family. My cousin Ingrid (on my mom's side of the family) lives a couple hours to the north of us and was passing through Richmond. It was wonderful to see her and introduce her to her 1st Cousin, Once Removed....or is it 2nd Cousin? I can never keep those straight. :)

First swaddle job done by Daddy after he read some tips on swaddling.

First time in his pack n' play. (Pretty impressive swaddle job, Dave!)

First visit from the MMS Girls, Cindy and Laura.

First nap in his crib...with his sock monkey and his afghan from his Aunt Julie Harris.

Grandpa Jeff introducing Jeffy to the beauty of singing in Minor 3rd intervals. :) Jeffy's eyes got really big and he was incredibly alert every time Grandpa sang to him. The kid has good taste and an excellent ear! :)

First week birthday celebration. My mom came up with the idea and as she was running errands on Tuesday, stopped by a cupcake store and picked some up for the occasion.

He is already so big after just one week!

First nap with Grandma Jean.

Not a first (being in his carseat) but he looks like he is dreaming about something lovely......

Maybe it was about his train set....which is for children 2 years and up but which Daddy and Grandpa just couldn't help but bring out! :)

First 3 Generation Picture.

I will never be able to thank God enough for allowing my parents to be with us for Jeffy's first week. They arrived before he was even 10 hours old (which is rather impressive as they were coming from AZ) and left the day after his 1 week birthday. We could have survived without them but it would have been terribly overwhelming. They cooked and cleaned and washed cars and managed the zoo and did projects around the house...and allowed Dave and me to just concentrate on adjusting to our new life. Their help...but most of all their presence here that first week...was absolutely priceless and I will cherish those memories for the rest of my life. Now more than ever I am 1) thankful for video Skyping which will allow us to at least show them their Grandson as he grows and gets bigger and will allow him to hear their voices and 2) wishing that we lived closer...MUCH closer.
And now...we prepare for yet another exciting first...the arrival of Grandma and Grandpa Pedersen. Little Jeffy is so blessed to have a family (both Harris and Pedersen and extended) that already loves him so much.

3 comments:

PanthersMama said...

When you are able to use the tummy tub, he will LOVE it! It'll get even easier to use when he can hold his head up independently :)

Bert and Kelli Millett said...

A hearty congratultions to the new parent and grandparents. Jessica, he is absolutely beautiful. Good luck with all those new firsts!

MissMaryLynn said...

Happy birthday to Jeffery! I can not WAIT to meet this little man!!!! Can I tell you that I've seriously been checking religiously for the past couple of weeks to see if he arrived yet? I got kind of impatient, but I'm glad he's finally here. =)
Congratulations to you and Dave and all of your family for such a great week. I'm gad to finally see pictures of everyone since I deleted my facebook (wah wahhh)!

P.S. - Toasting with Becherovka? I might be adopting that tradition when I have my own family...lol ;)