Sunday, April 17, 2011

Spiders and Spring

With my two parents being alumni of Arizona State University and David working for the University of Richmond, I wondered what would come first.....the Sun Devil or the Spider? We were given the answer this past week. The Women's Chorale (which I have had the privilege of singing in) at U of R had their end of the season party this past week. The girls were thoughtful and gave notes of thanks to the accompanist and to Dave for a year of hard work and beautiful song making. And then...they outdid themselves by beating Sparky the Sun Devil and outfitting Oggie with his first Spiders gear.
We're talking Spider booties, Spider pj's, Spider shorts and Spider Shirt, Spider bib....the whole nine yards. It was so amazingly thoughtful and sweet of them and I was speechless. Oggie's not even here yet and already he has over two dozen girlfriends! :) Dave and I might be in trouble!! :)

Knowing that we were in store for some really severe weather yesterday (Saturday), Dave and I decided to take a trip to Maymont on Friday to see the tulips and spend a couple hours reading in the park -- one of our favorite fall/spring activities here in Richmond. The Italian Garden at Maymont did not disappoint, though we're glad we went when we did because with the storm and the passing of another weekend, the tulips will be gone. And while we were there, Dave decided it was a lovely day to take some pregnancy pictures.

27 weeks, 5 days!!!

When I was back in Iowa last week for my Grandma's funeral, I noticed that Iowa was a good 3 weeks behind Richmond as far as spring blooms are concerned. And while they probably look for spring much more than we do (especially if it has been a bad snow year), I don't think spring gets much prettier than here in Richmond. The tulips, the redbud trees, the azaleas, the dog wood trees, the rhododendrons....it is just beautiful!!! The only downside to all this beauty is the layer of yellow pollen dust covering all of my furniture (because it would be criminal to not have our windows open with such beautiful weather) and cars and everything. Lovely for the allergies!!! :(

After Maymont, I acquiesced and accompanied Dave to his new favorite Rail Fanning site....at the bottom of the Acca Yard....less than 5 minutes from our house. (Note: I look horrid in this picture but oh well.) There was a LOT of activity while we were there and Dave kept his finger on it all by using the scanner my dad got him years ago for NASCAR races. There were a couple of "regulars" there at the same time and together, we all formed this odd and very random community.
I have a strong feeling that little Oggie is going to take after 3 generations of Harris men and Dave and have a deep love for trains. He was extremely active the entire time we were there...even when there wasn't a train around. Fantastic, say I!!! Dave will have a willing and excited partner to go Rail Fanning with him!! :)

On a final note, kudos to my Aunt Michelle Harris. So far, you have been the most creative in trying to get little Oggie's real name to be told. While in Iowa and on the day we were saying goodbyes because everyone left for home the next morning, she hit me with a rapid fire of questions...ending with "And what is going to be the baby's name?". Having answered her questions so quickly....I almost felt his true name escape...but I didn't fall for her trick!! :) But bravo Aunt Michelle!!! I was most impressed with your attempt and Dave was most amused when I told him!

No comments: