Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Reflections and Family Time

For several weeks, I have been reflecting on what a marvelous age we currently live in. Of course, there are downsides and ugliness to every age in history but a positive for me is the technology we are blessed to have. Yes...many people use it as an excuse to escape actual and meaningful relationships with people but then there are amazing things like SKYPE. It wasn't too long ago that when people moved across the country, that was the last they would see or hear from their families left behind except for rare letters. And yet today....thanks to technology like Skype Video Chat....I video chat with my family at least once a week...if not more. When my sister bought her new house, she was able to take me on a room by room tour so I could (and rightfully so) oooo and ahhhh. And when she got her new puppy (who, by the way, is the cutest thing ever), I was introduced to Bailey via video chat and I have been able to see her grow over the past month. At Christmas, my mom helps alleviate my homesickness by showing me all over the house so I can make sure all the traditional decorations are up. And as I progress in this pregnancy, both she and my dad have loved the chance to have me stand up in front of the video camera to show off the growing belly. It helps bring us closer....even though 2500 miles separate us.

We are blessed beyond measure with the life God has given us but we do not know how many days or years we will be given in that life. Life is far too short to not gather those you love and are close to you to your side. As I attended the funeral for my Grandma Dori two weeks ago, I felt a sense of happiness that I have such frequent contact with my family. I know that some families are fine with not as much contact but for me....I don't want to come to the end of my life or be saying goodbye to one of them and wishing that we had been more involved in each other's lives. Being so far away is bad enough....I don't want lack of communication to further that regret.

These were all things that I reflected on during my whirlwind trip to Iowa for the funeral of my Grandma Doris Harris -- my dad's mom. It is a shame that it takes a wedding or a funeral to bring family together but I am blessed to live in this age where I was able to jump on a plane and be with my family in mere hours. The 2nd to last time the whole Harris family was together was the celebration of my parents' 25th Wedding Anniversary when we all met in Colorado for the festivities -- 13 years ago.
The last time the whole Harris family was together was for our wedding -- 9 years ago. And finally....9 years later....we all found ourselves back in Iowa....to celebrate the life of my Grandma.

Though she was cremated, she was laid to rest next to her husband and my grandpa, Duane Harris.

And here are the Harris brothers -- my dad and my Uncle Roger (the middle and youngest of the 3 Harris boys). Unfortunately, my grandma was preceded in death by her oldest child, my uncle Larry, who died 8 1/2 years ago.

And here are her four grandchildren -- all girls after having only boys for children!!! :) In her last wishes, my grandma asked that the four granddaughters eulogize her at the funeral. And I have to say that I had a very entertaining drive up to Fort Dodge from Des Moines with my sister as we wrote our little talk and remembered Grandma Dori. I think Grandma would have been pleased with the memories all four granddaughters shared.

Here are all the Harris women....on Harris Hill at the cemetery.

During this trip, I realized that it had been 10 years that very same weekend that I had last been in Fort Dodge....to attend the funeral of my Grandma Mary Sell (my mom's mom). It was nice to be back in the town where my parents grew up and where my sister and I have lots of fond memories. We drove past my Grandpa and Grandma Sell's house and stopped by where they are buried.

We even got to spend some time with my Aunt Weezie (my mom's sister) and my Uncle Joe in Des Moines. They came to the funeral but it was nice to have breakfast with them the morning we all flew back to our respective homes.

Dave was unable to make the trip. It was just far too expensive and too short notice to find someone to watch the pets but he was missed by everyone. Everyone who knew my grandma came up to my sister and me and said that Grandma had been so proud of all her granddaughters and then they would congratulate Julie on her new house and then relate to me how excited she had been that I was having a healthy pregnancy. And even though one member of my family was missing and missed (that being Dave), it meant so much to me to be there with and for my family. It still means so much.

The short of the long is that I am thankful for: the fact that I got to go back to Iowa for my Grandma's funeral; that I was able to spend time with extended family; that my Grandma knew about her 5th great grandchild on the way (see the link below where Oggie is even mentioned in her obituary!!); that through modern technology, I can fly to Iowa in a matter of hours and can video chat with my family on a weekly basis; and that even though I am so far away from my family, we do everything we can to make the distance not feel too great. :)

Life is too short and now more than ever (with Oggie on the way), I am going to continue to make sure that mileage is the only distance between us. :)

No comments: