Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Honor Choir Reunion Recordings

Almost 3 weeks have passed since our surprise trip to AZ and Dave and I are still reliving wonderful moments from that unforgettable weekend. Back in AZ, today is the last day of instruction for my sister and she is happy to be going back to the same school next fall. Tomorrow is the last day for my parents with Westwood's graduation ceremonies being tomorrow night and they then enter a brand new world. And how are they celebrating the closing of one door and the opening of another? This summer they will be taking a 3 week trip to Switzerland, Italy, and Germany -- just the two of them! :-) They will meet old and dear friends in the Italian Riviera for a couple of days and visit family that my mother still has in Germany but it will be 3 weeks of meandering through this part of Europe together. I am so jealous......and soooo thrilled that they are treating themselves to this trip!

Things have still have been busy since this surprise weekend. An Honor Choir alumni and her father's production company video taped the whole concert and is currently editing the tape so that we alumni can purchase it as a keepsake. Another alumni had digitally recorded just the sounds of the concert and I have been busy sending that out to everyone. And it is these recordings that I want to share with you.

Before I get to the recordings, I just had to share the design of the shirts that we had made. My friend Erik, who was in my graduating class, designed these shirts with Surf & Ski in Mesa. I was just so impressed with the design and am proud to wear my shirt! And it was great to see almost 200 of the 400 participating members at the reunion wearing these shirts.
Now on to the recordings. First is my speech. When you hear me saying "Mr Harris!", I was making my way up on to the stage and my dad couldn't figure out who was calling to him. :-) Then, when you hear me say that "there are some people here who have something to sing for you"...that was the cue for the alumni seated in the audience to rise and make their way to the stage. Dad's jaw just dropped. Priceless!!!!
http://mattbauer.com/harrisfarewell/jessicaspeech.mp3

Here is the recording of Ubi Caritas. Dave says that the balance of all the parts, out in the audience, was very good. This recording is a little soprano heavy but you still get the idea. The closing "n" of "amen" .....watching my dad just soak in the moment.....was magic!
http://mattbauer.com/harrisfarewell/ubicaritas.mp3

This recording is when my friend Dustin, who graduated a year before me, brought my mom up on stage and had my dad present her with a dozen roses in thanks for all of the time and sacrifice that she has given to the Westwood Choral Department. Very cool move on Dustin's part!!!!
http://mattbauer.com/harrisfarewell/jeanharris.mp3

And this recording is of my dad....finally finding voice and taking the microphone to say a few words. At this point, we are all encircling the audience in preparation to sing Lonesome Road. Julie and I were standing right next to dad and he was, with one hand, holding both of our hands.
http://mattbauer.com/harrisfarewell/mrharris.mp3

And here.....here is the recording of the final time that the Westwood Honor Choir + alumni under the direction of my dad will sing Lonesome Road. This has been the closing piece for every concert (except the Christmas concert) at Westwood for 20 years. I have friends who sing this piece to their children as lullabies and who tear up .....even to this day....when they hear it sung. I have memories of singing it for the last time when I was a senior. It was the last day of school and dad had the Honor Choir circle the entire choir room and join hands. And I remember making eye contact with almost 70 people -- people who had become friends over my 3 years at Westwood. It was a powerful moment for everyone. And this final singing of the song, with my dad holding Julie's and my hand, and hearing him sing it with everyone else as he has always done was even more powerful. A wonderful, beautiful tradition!!
http://mattbauer.com/harrisfarewell/lonesomeroad.mp3

Thank you Matt Bauer who helped with the audio files!!!!!

Congratulations Mom & Dad!!! Julie, Dave, and I are so terribly proud of both of you!!!!!

No comments: