Unfortunately, this event meant that we would be unable to make the trip to AZ for Christmas....but I had a feeling that once everything was said and done, my parents wouldn't mind too much! :-) The added bonus was that my Aunt Weezie and Uncle Joe (my mom's sister and brother-in-law) from Des Moines, IA decided to join us in the surprise and made the 3 day drive out to AZ for the weekend!!!
So the stage was set and the curtain was about to go up. On Friday, the 7th, Julie picked Dave and me up from the airport and we met Weezie and Joe at Julie's apartment for lunch, some down time, and multiple games of Bananagrams! It felt odd to spend an entire afternoon in the Valley without my parents even knowing that we were in town. :-)
Julie, the person who usually can't keep secrets, has become the MASTER!!!! She told my parents that she had won a gift certificate to Tia Rosa's....our favorite Mexican Restaurant near my parents' house and invited them to join her. One half hour before they arrived, Weezie and Joe, Julie, and Dave and I were seated and anxiously waiting. And I do mean anxiously waiting. Julie and Aunt Weezie practically left nose prints on the windows as they kept watch for mom and dad and I think I bit off all of my fingernails.
So we killed some time by taking pictures.....
And then....someone from off stage yelled "Action" and we all took our places as mom and dad entered the restaurant. Julie met them out front and led them to the room where we were all assembled.
Now....keep in mind....if you have been reading this blog, you will have noticed that the entry just prior to this one has my parents visiting US in VA. Yes. That is right! We had only seen each other two weeks before....which is pretty recently given the fact that we live 3,000 miles away from each other. I kept telling my parents to come visit us in the fall; they would be retired, it is a beautiful time of year.....but they insisted on coming in April. We had a great time -- as the entry clearly shows -- but Dave and I kept shaking our heads and laughing.....as did everyone else who knew about this surprise weekend....at the irony of it all!!! :-) My point is...that when my parents entered that room....the very LAST people that they probably expected to see were Dave and me. But lo....there we were!!!!
As the picture below beautifully illustrates....my parents were FLOORED!!!!My mom first saw me and then swept her gaze over to Dave and immediately started to cry. :-) Perfect! And then she saw my Aunt Weezie and Uncle Joe! My dad...a little more composed...just had big eyes like a deer caught in the headlights. Doubly perfect!!!! :-)
However, because my dad remained so composed....my mom jumped to the conclusion that he had been in on the whole thing!!! HA, HA, HA!!!He quickly corrected her and assured her that he was as floored as she was. Once the initial shock wore off and the explanations had been given, it was time to get down to hugs and kisses and yummy Mexican food.
Over 600 people....600 people who either have daily or weekly contact with my parents knew about some aspect of this weekend!!! And my parents did not have a clue!!! I am still shaking my head in disbelief that everything remained a secret!!!!!
Here is to the first surprise going soooo perfectly!!!!!The second surprise came from Weezie and Joe and didn't involve Julie and me. Whew! Time to sit back and relax. Literally!!! :-) After dinner, we went to my parents' house where my aunt and uncle presented their gift to my mom....something that had been in the back of their minivan all the way from Iowa. My great grandmother's rocking chair! My mom has always loved this chair and remembers reading her books in it when she was a little girl. Well, now she can once again read her books in her grandmother's rocking chair!
A coming together between my dad and Dave would not be complete without the traditional raising of a glass of Becherovka and the solemn toast of "Prost!".
The third surprise was the fact that Julie and I were throwing a party in honor of our mom and dad. Saturday the 8th, we spent the day at Ikea (I would live in Phoenix just to be closer to that wonderful, wonderful store!!!) and then at home getting the house ready for the party. We had told my parents about the party but did not tell them who was coming. It was an open house event that started at 6pm and we held it in my parents' beautiful backyard. Julie and I picked up all the food and the cake for the event and were ready to go just minutes before the first arrival. Over the next 4 hours, over 70 people came to the house to help us celebrate my parents' achievement! With the help of a close colleague of my mom's and the administrative assistant at my dad's school, I had been able to obtain the faculty e-mail list for both of my parents' schools. And with the help of a good family friend, I was able to get the e-mail list for my parents' community choir. Everyone else's information came through exhaustive and creative internet searches using my skills at finding people from my time as a recruiter. :-) I love Evite Invitations as it allowed me to do all of the inviting via e-mail so that there weren't any paper trails for my parents to find! Fantastic!!!
Here are some of my mom's colleagues.In March, my dad had still not announced that he was retiring. This was causing no small amount of anxiety and consternation for my sister and me. With people's calendars filling up quickly, we rushed out a "Save the Date" invitation telling people that we were throwing our parents a party but not telling them why. Thankfully, he made the announcement and the real invitation went out to everyone and the real planning began!!!
My dad had planned on giving my mom a retirement gift but upon our arrival and in light of the party, he decided to get the gift to present to her at the party instead of two weeks from then. He and Dave spent all Saturday afternoon (while the rest of us were at Ikea) dealing with Art Dealers and comparing countenances of the available sculptures. True boy bonding....from what I am told. :-) So...after a short speech by my dad acknowledging my mom's work and impact on her students and school, he unveiled.....
This beautiful bronze statue. [Don't even try to lift it...it weighs a ton!]
The fourth surprise of the weekend -- which again, Julie and I had nothing to do with! Phew! The statue is really quite beautiful and so meaningful for my mom as it is a little boy standing on a pile of books and opening one up...just as the world has been opened up to him through those books. Beautiful! Bravo dad!!! :-)
Back in the glory days of Westwood (as my father calls it), there were 4 wonderful administrators who were passionate about their job and loved their job, their school, and the kids there. As a lark, they loosely formed a group under the direction of my dad called JJ & the Monotones. :-) JJ as in Jack Joyce...the principal (and the second one from the left). Together, these five men would preform at talent shows and actually had a few paying gigs in Mesa. :-) Their last time together was 14 years ago...my sophomore year at Westwood and Jack Joyce's final year before he retired. I had made it a priority to find these wonderful friends of my dad's and have them come to the party...and they all showed up!!!! It was absolutely fantastic!!!!!
And....they performed one last time. :-) I can't believe that they all remembered their parts....and the choreography but there....on our patio....JJ & the Monotones reunited after a separation of 14 years to sing Hermans Hermits's tune "Silhouettes". Pure magic!!!
The party was a complete success! We couldn't have imagined it being more perfect! There was tons of food and drink, tons of wonderful company, and so much love and laughter and joy in that backyard! While Julie and I made sure food and drink amounts were adequate, Dave floated from table to table....talking to complete strangers and having just a fantastic time! When we finally wished a goodnight and safe drive to the last group to leave at 11:15pm, we were ready to drop into our beds. Pure bliss!!!
The fifth surprise came on Mother's Day. Dave and I went with my family to First United Methodist Church of Mesa...where I grew up and it was a real joy and treat to sit next to my mom at church on Mother's Day. Dave and I then scooted to Queen of Peace to go to Mass. After lunch, I presented my mom and my dad two photo albums that I had made for them on the computer. I turned 30 this past year so the titles of the books were "30 Years of Being My Mom" and "30 Years of Being My Dad". My dad described them as being a "priceless treasure". :-)
My mom decided to take Monday off from school and spend the day with her company! My dad was going to take Tuesday off to play golf with Uncle Joe. So, with my mom, we visited the Queen Creek Olive Farm where they make a variety of olive oils -- all of which were very tasty!!!! It was just surreal to be there with my beloved family on such a memorable and meaningful weekend!!!I still can't believe we pulled it off perfectly. Flights, weather, hundreds of people keeping our secret, .....everything was as if the gods were smiling on us!!! The adage is normally that when you make plans, the gods laugh and disrupt everything. But they must have approved of this weekend because everything was absolutely perfect!!!!
Dave said that after the weekend we got married, this is his favorite weekend ever! I would completely agree!!!! And all of it to honor two incredibly special people who have opened up their home and their hearts to so many people. Looking around at the party, I was just humbled by the fact that this was all such a testament to what amazing people my parents are and that Julie and I are so lucky to have them as our parents and models of true Christian love, charity, and faith.My mom has jokingly hinted that with a successful as this weekend was, Julie and I should plan something for my parents' 40th Wedding anniversary in 3 years. I think we might need 3 years to recover from this past weekend!!! :-)
We love you Mom and Dad!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment