Still in Arizona.
The final surprise of this weekend
full of surprises...and the one that involved the most people...came the night of Monday the 10
th.
A friend from high school had found out in February that I was coming to the valley and that I would be there for my dad's final concert. He suggested that we put together an Honor Choir Reunion Choir. Honor Choir is the top choir at my dad's school with about 75 students in it each year. It is an auditioned group only open to Juniors and Seniors with some exceptions. I knew that my dad was retiring...which at that time was not public knowledge...so I said that we should do a reunion choir...knowing that this would be our last chance.
When my dad finally did make the announcement that he would be retiring at the end of the year, a Reunion
Organizing board formed and planning started at full steam ahead. Thanks to
Facebook, we were able to instantly network with former alumni of Honor Choir and by the end of the first full week of everyone knowing....over 200 people had signed up on
facebook to be a part of the event!!!! The response was unreal....and completely humbling.
The morning of Saturday, the 8
th (the day of my parents' party), Julie and Dave and I excused ourselves from home and secretly went over to
Westwood where a secret rehearsal was being held to go over the music that we would be performing for my dad! And who directed this secret rehearsal?!!! Dave!!! My husband and dad's Son-in-Law.

I was very pleased with the turnout for the rehearsal. We had people drive and fly into the valley from all over Arizona, California, Utah, Kansas and Minnesota just for this event!! It didn't hurt that it was the weekend of Mother's Day either! :-) Some people in this group used to babysit my sister and me. Others were classmates of mine. It was better than a class reunion!!

Dave did a fantastic job directing the rehearsal. First up was a run through of the traditional ending piece "Lonesome Road". I teared up after hearing the first phrase!!! The next piece to rehearse was the big one:
Durufle's "
Ubi Caritas" .....which is quite possibly my dad's favorite piece of all time. We all knew that which is why we chose the piece to give back to him! Dave dealt with some phrasing issues and just handled the group expertly!

I cannot begin to tell you
how many people e-mailed me, or told me or my dad or even Dave in person one or both of the following things:
1) Is there any possibility that Dave could take over the choir program at
Westwood for my dad?! and
2) that when it comes to music making...it is scary how similar Dave is to my dad. Everyone mentioned that it seemed like I had married a copy of my father! Which -- having the best dad in the entire world -- I take as the HIGHEST compliment that someone could give me!!! :-) Dave truly won the group over and I was so proud to have him in front of these people! Dave says that it was one of the biggest honors he has ever had and was a highlight of his year to be such a part of this event!
Monday night brought my dad's final concert. Every year, the final concert of the year is titled "Spring Sing" and it a pop music themed concert. Usually tons of fun complete with choreographed songs! The opening piece every year...sung by Honor Choir...is "R.O.C.K. in the U.S.A.". I found myself singing along and doing the motions as I watched from my seat! :-)

Here is the current Honor Choir doing a Beach Boys medley.

And every year...the final song is "Be True to Your School"....which I was also doing the motions to in my chair. On the final verse of the song, some of the Honor Choir boys brought my dad out on a chair....

...and placed him in the middle of the stage and then surrounded him.

Dad thought this was the end of the concert. It was time for the Honor Choir to recess off the stage and circle the audience. It was time for any alumni to be invited up to sing "Lonesome Road". But....we had other plans! With my wireless microphone, I started calling "Mr. Harris, Mr. Harris" from the chaos of the audience during the applause for "Be True to Your School". Dad couldn't see who was calling to him but soon saw my sister and I make our way to the center of the stage.

I told him that there were some people here who wanted to say something to him....or rather....they had something to "sing for him" and on that cue....over
400 Honor Choir alumni stood up from their seats in the audience and
amidst deafening applause and cheers, began to congregate on the stage.

Dad....well, he was in absolute shock!!!! 30 years worth of students soon stood on the stage and on the floor in front of the stage. 30 years of lives that he had touched, inspired, and influenced. In that group were children of some of his first students, entire groups of siblings, students who had become musicians and directors because of his influence...and both of his daughters. He was filled with emotion. :-)

In front of probably 1500 people, I gave my little speech and thanked the reunion organizing board and the current Honor Choir for allowing us to be part of this special night. And then I told him that we wanted to give him the only gift that seemed appropriate -- the gift of Song. And the piece we had chosen didn't fit with the pop theme of Spring Sing but 30 years of Honor Choirs had again and again heard him speak so passionately about this piece. And we would be so honored if he would lead us all one last time as we sang for him,
Durufle's "
Ubi Caritas". He was floored and so touched. And with the opening pitch, he raised his arms and......

30 years of voices sang as one Honor Choir!
I am still in absolute awe at how 400 people...including his current Honor Choir who sees him every single day....kept all of this a complete secret!!!!!! Unbelievable!!!

All of this....everyone coming together...to honor an amazing musician and educator and an amazing man!

The surprises weren't over yet! We then presented him with a framed picture of the Reunion Choir where we had all signed the mat with our names and graduating years. And then one of the reunion organizing members brought my mom up on stage and presented a dozen roses to her in gratitude and honor for all of the support she's given the
Westwood choral programs throughout the years. Yes, Honor Choir members have all heard my dad's army stories....and stories from when he was a kid. But no one leaves Westwood's choral program without hearing time and time and time again my dad express his devotion and true love for his best friend...my mom. He is a true gentleman and his devotion to his family and most of all to my mom influences
everything he does and says.

I had been fine. Up until this point, I hadn't cried. Truth be told...I was too nervous. I've listened to a recording of my speech and you wouldn't know to hear me that I was so nervous but if you had seen me, I was shaking like a leaf. But then the end of the night came, and we all circled the audience, joined hands, and soaked in the moment as we sang...for the last time..."Lonesome Road". I attended my first
Westwood High School choir concert when I was 2 months old. My sister and I have sat in the orchestra pits during musical rehearsals. We had our hair braided and fish tailed by Honor Choir girls as our family toured with my dad's choir. We both sang in his choirs. And now...after 30 years....I won't be able to go home and visit his office, the choir room, the stage. It was all coming to an end. And then as I looked around me, at 400 people there to honor my dad and all of his years of work...I realized that his wish...his parting words to everyone that night had been realized and would continue to be realized because of his influence.....
"Go and do good for and in the world!"
♫Walk down that lonesome road, all by yourself. Don't turn your head back over your shoulder. And only stop to rest yourself when the silver moon, is shining high, above the trees. If I had stopped to listen once or twice, if I had closed my mouth and opened my eyes, if I had cooled my head and warmed my heart, I'd not be on this road tonight. Carry on. Never mind feeling sorry for yourself. It doesn't save you from your troubled mind. Walk down that lonesome road, all by yourself. Don't turn your head back over your shoulder. And only stop to rest yourself when the silver moon, is shining high above the trees.♫

After the concert, we had a little after party out in the amphitheater at the school. Dad was bombarded by 30 years worth of alumni wanting family pictures with him. There are families at our school where all 7 or 8 or 9 children went through my dad's choral program. It was also a great chance for me to see some of my high school friends that I haven't seen in
years.
Yes -- that is a balloon version of my dad at the top of the picture below. He vaguely resembled the Monopoly character but it was my dad all right! :-)

Dave and I have since returned to Virginia. Weezie and Joe have gone back to Iowa. Julie has only a couple more weeks before she dismisses her class for summer vacation. Mom and Dad are in their final days as teachers at their schools. But we are all still processing...still reflecting on this magnificent weekend! How on earth can this be topped?! :-) And I can't think of two people who deserve such attention and honor more than my parents. Yes, I am biased....but I heard those exact sentiments from hundreds (literally hundreds) of other people over the course of last weekend.

Go and do good for and in the world!
1 comment:
Jess & Dave,
It looked like an amazing weekend!! I'm so happy it all went well, I basically kept my fingers crossed that whole weekend ;) Miss you guys, and congrats to you all and your Dad!
Love,
McLean (& Kevin)
Post a Comment