So...on Memorial Day this year...we took off early in the morning to do a little hike at a place called Old Dutch Gap. This wasn't a very big undertaking as it was maybe a 20 minute drive for us, the path was very level and it was an easy 6 miles, and it was mostly shaded the whole time.
Old Dutch Gap was the second English settlement in the New World, 4 years after Jamestown and is near the lost 17th century city of Henricus. John Smith traveled to Old Dutch Gap, Benedict Arnold fought with the English at the site during the American Revolutionary War, and a Civil War battle was fought in this area. Now, it is an 800 acre conservation and recreation area.
I was "told" that this was going to be a nice hike but it was really a chance for Dave to do some bird watching. :-) Here he is trying to capture a sight of a very speedy Prothonotary Warbler in his binoculars.
No...in all seriousness, it was a wonderful hike/walk. I have never truly understood the difference between "woods" and "forest" until I moved to Virginia. This was truly a walk in the "woods". And we had a beautiful day! It was only towards the end of the hike, as we approached the early afternoon hours, that the heat and humidity became absolutely oppressive. I would give this hike 5 stars....if it weren't for the ticks! I HATE TICKS!!!! I think that they are one of the most disgusting things God created and they completely creep me out. And here they were, jumping on our legs. You had to keep moving for the moment you stood still, you would look down and see 3 or 4 on your legs. YUCK!
Happy Memorial Day!!!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment