Thursday, November 5, 2015

Let's Go Racing



Oh dearie, dear.  Is it already November?  (shaking my head)  I have NO idea where the time has gone but I better catch up with some posts.  The family and I are coming off of being around my family for 2.5 weeks and I am in need of a little walk down memory lane so I will finally post about my dad's trip to VA in September!


Dad took a red-eye (God bless him) and arrived here the morning of Dave's birthday.  In the past 5 years, we had the chance to celebrate Dave's birthday with my family 3 times now.  VERY cool!  So, we celebrated with presents and cupcakes and then presented....Jeffery....with the biggest present of all that day.  Yes, you read correctly.  Jeffery got the biggest present.  Jeffery knew that Dave and Papa were heading off to the Richmond X-Finity race (NASCAR)....but what he didn't know was that he was going to go with them.  :)  Papa made the presentation and little Jeffery's mind was blown!  He didn't know what to do with himself or how to communicate his emotions and it was hilarious to watch.  He just kept asking, in a very disbelieving tone, "I get to go too, mommy?".  It was almost too much for him to comprehend.  
Let's Go Racin'

They had an epic time.  The race had several cautions and Jeffery was a trooper for the whole race.  He did hit a wall at one point but worked through it and was able to carry on.  He drank lemonade and ate hot dogs and got to see NASCAR cars up close and pretend that he was on a pit crew.  He still talks about the day.  
Making Papa proud...standing in front of the #2 car
Tire changer for the #2 Car
He LOVES the truck series too
A boy...alone with his thoughts...seeing the track for the first time
Couldn't be happier
Already a pro at attending races after a summer of Southside Speedway
Happiness is being at a race with Papa...
....and daddy
Night Racin' at Richmond
One of his best nights EVER

But that's not where the racing fun ended!  Oh no!  :)  The next night was the main event....the Sprint Cup series race....and I GOT TO GO!!!!!!!  I haven't been able to attend a race since I was 4 months pregnant with Jakob so I was REALLY excited to go.  It rained all day....not a good thing....and we worried about whether the race would even take place and made back up arrangements in case it got moved to Sunday.  But....just in time....the clouds parted and cleared and I found myself at the track with my 2 favorite men.
All smiles
LOVE that he came out for this!
What a night!
But the fun didn't end there!  No.  :)  My dad stayed for a whole week and we had just a fantastic time with him.  We went for pizza at Bottom's Up with him....he took the kids to the playground by himself while I was watching some other children....he got to go to Jeffery's swim classes and watch him in action.....they read "Trains Magazine" together, and everyone had such a splendid time.  He and Dave installed lights on our deck and he joined us for a fire outside...during which, he heard the Ice Cream man's truck in the neighborhood, flagged it down, and bought the boys their first treats from the Ice Cream truck.  :)
Night time reading


And then the fun came to an end.  :(  It was such a nice little break from reality: racing, dad being here, etc....it almost felt like a vacation.  :)  And while I hate saying goodbye to my family, I was consoled that it would only be a month until we were all reunited for my sister's wedding.  Jeffery tells me all the time that he can't wait to go racing with Papa and Daddy again.....and I couldn't agree more.  :)

No comments: