My sister....my baby sister....is getting married this fall. :) Everyone is in the throes of wedding planning and preparation. I am the Lady of Honor (no way am I going to be a "matron"), Jeffery is the ring-bearer, Dave was asked to read one of the scripture readings, Dad is singing, and mom is undertaking a bunch of DIY decorations and the such for the ceremony and reception. (Praise God for Pinterest! I"m just sad it wasn't around when I got married!)
I decided at the beginning of the summer that it would only be right for me to make the trek out to Arizona and throw her a wedding shower. My original intent was to go by myself. Dave said that he could somehow manage to hold down the fort with both boys. But....that idea didn't fly too well with my mom. :) Dave made me see their side of things....and lo...Jakob came with me. (Last time he can fly without me having to pay for a ticket for him!)
So....to Arizona we went. And credit goes to Jakob for being a pretty good boy on both legs of the trip. I was so relieved!
Oma and Papa had brought down a lot of toys they'd saved from when my sister and I were little for Jakob to play with and he was in heaven! Absolute heaven! There were all these new toys....and no pesky big brother fighting him for one toy or another....or competing with him for attention. It became quickly apparent that I had made the right decision to bring Jakob with me....and that Dave is a wise man for talking me into doing so. :) :) :) :)
 |
| Playing with Papa |
 |
| Trying out the piano |
 |
| This picture makes my heart so happy! |
 |
| Playing with Bailey-Dog....my sister's dog |
 |
| Chilling with Papa |
 |
| Wooo-wooo!!!!!! |
While the shower was the reason for the trip, I was able to sneak in several other things that were important to me. Jakob and I sat in on the first part of a Sonoran Desert Chorale rehearsal (the group my dad directs and my mom sings in). That was great because 1/4 of the choir are people I went to high school or college with or know or know from being family friends with them. It was a great little reunion time! Oma and Papa babysat and I went and met some high school friends for dinner and a
fantastic time with them! And I got to have a good amount of authentic Mexican food to tide me over until we're back for the actual wedding! :)
But the shower was the main event of the weekend. From almost the day I arrived, my mom and I were in preparation mode for the shower which was going to be held on that Saturday. One of Julie's dear friends (and a fellow bridesmaid) and I were hosting the shower and we had decided to make it 1) an open house and 2) kitchen themed. It went off beautifully....if I do say so myself! 21 people came and went over the course of 3 hours and I think everyone enjoyed themselves....especially my sister. (At least...I hope so!) :)
 |
| Recipe for a Happy marriage |
 |
| Attached to most of the balloons were pictures of my sister throughout her life. It was fun! |
 |
| People starting to gather |
 |
| Wonderful friends came to join her on this special day! |
 |
| The cupcakes, from Sassy's, were AMAZING! Vanilla Cream and Lemon Drop |
 |
| My baking contribution: Lemon Lime Sugar Cookie Truffles and Lemon Buddies. |
 |
| Cheerful sunflowers in great-grandma's colander. |
 |
| The spread. All the food was so yummy....and so was the Sangria!!! |
 |
| Guests were encouraged to write "sage advice" to the bride on wooden spoons. |
 |
| A friend of mine did the calligraphy monogram letters for the plate that guests signed. |
 |
| Mom made the door decoration out of flowers that are the color of Julie's bridesmaids dresses....and my mom's own wedding veil. So special! |
 |
| The two hosts (and 2 of the bridesmaids) flanking the bride. :) |
 |
| The Harris Girls |
With the shower done, it was nice to relax with my family on Sunday...the day before Jakob and I made the trip home to Virginia. We attended church with my family (I excused myself afterwards and went to Mass), had yummy pizza for lunch, and then went swimming. Jakob
LOVED the pool! He loved it when I would count to "3" and then completely dunk him under water......he came up smiling every time. He loved it when Bailey dog would swim close to him. He loved it when Papa would take him from one end of the pool to the other. He's my little fish!!
 |
| All smiles with Oma |
 |
| Looking for jets |
 |
| This is fun, papa!!!! |
 |
| Happiness is swimming with Oma |
 |
| The family that swims together, stays together. ;) |
 |
| Warming up with Papa |
 |
| Playing with Papa's iPhone. |
 |
| Bedtime story with Oma |
And like that....our 5 days in Arizona were over. :( It flew by far too fast. But, my consolation is 1) my dad is coming this weekend for the Richmond NASCAR race and will stay a week, 2) we're getting closer and closer to when we'll be back out in AZ for the wedding, 3) the boys and I are staying for a week after the wedding (Dave has to come back home) and 4) my mom is helping me with the boys fly back home to VA and will then stay with us for another week!!! All of these things make me
very happy!
Wait. What? You ask how Jeffery and David did during my time away?! I don't think Jeffery missed me in the slightest!!!! No....I jest. But Dave did an awesome job of keeping him occupied so he wouldn't have time to miss me....or be jealous that Jakob was with Oma and Papa and not him too. On Wednesday: they dropped us off at the airport and then drove to Roanoke, VA (3.5 hours away)....with a breakfast stop at Cracker Barrel....to see the newly restored 611 Steam Engine. They didn't get back until later than evening and it is still something that makes Jeffery almost swoon with excitement when he's talking about it! :) On Thursday: Dave had to do some work at church and at UR....so Jeffery came with him and had a grand time talking to everyone and playing and meeting new people. On Friday: they went kayaking at Pocahontas State Park in the morning.....and then to Southside Speedway for the last races of the season....and a driver meet and greet. They didn't get home until midnight. Jeffery was in heaven. On Saturday: they went to a friend's 50th birthday party where Jeffery saw a ton of his friends from church and had a blast playing with everyone. On Sunday: he spent 5 hours at church with Dave....and was a complete trooper through it all! And then, they made english muffin pizzas together (one of the highlights for Jeffery, to be sure) On Monday: Dave had auditions at UR so he dropped Jeffery off at our friends' house to play all afternoon and into the evening. They have 6 girls and 1 boy and Jeffery was exhausted for the whole next day after playing with them all. Hats off to Dave for filling Jeffery's days and nights with exciting adventures and tons of one on one time! They both LOVED the time together!
So, we're home and getting back into our fluid routine. :) It is good to be home. It is good to be a family again. But....I am looking forward to the coming weeks!!!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment