Monday, February 16, 2015

May the Odds Be Ever in Your Favor

"No wonder the South lost the war."

This was something that my mother laughingly said a few years ago when she visited around Christmas time and we received some snow.  She saw, first hand, how everything just shuts down and goes on crisis mode and she just laughed and laughed.  Growing up in Iowa will make you do that when you see ridiculous reactions to a few inches of snow.

It is snowing today.  We woke up yesterday to it being 7 degrees outside but with the wind chill, it felt like -11.  YIKES!  Okay.  There is no two ways around that.  That.Is.Cold!  I found myself wishing I could live stream Mass from the comfort of my warm home and not have to bundle up myself and the boys to make it to church.  Anyway, we also woke up to a surprise forecast saying that we would get 8-12 inches of snow today.  Surprise!  Terms like "Snowmageddon" were already being bandied about by the afternoon.

8-12 inches is a lot.  I grant everyone that much.  But the way people are acting here.....you'd think we were in Boston where they have snow trenches 7 ft high.  Inches vs. Feet.....there's no comparison.  I had a dentist appt this morning (no cavities...woo-hoo!) and swung by our grocery store around 9am to pick up some things for the boys so I wouldn't have to go back out for a couple days.  I was surprised to see just how many people were already in the store at that hour but I had no trouble.

My friends however....well....you would think Armageddon is at hand with what they're experiencing.  I have reports coming to me of people going for a 30 minute grocery trip around 11am and it becoming a 2 hour trip due to the checkout lines.  Milk and bread are gone from the shelves.  Finding a cart is a miracle and most people are just piling their groceries in their arms.  Dave says the lines at gas stations is reaching out into the surrounding streets.  Until about a half hour ago, there wasn't any snow sticking to the streets and even though it is dreadfully cold, Dave said that there wasn't any ice....but people were still driving 2mph.  Is it even possible to drive that slow?!  I feel like this is a scene out of the book/movie "The Hunger Games" and that we should be telling one and all "May the Odds be Ever in Your Favor".  :)

So....we'll just hunker down and enjoy the view.  My Harris family had a very exciting event happen over the weekend so I have things to keep my mind busy.  And there's always the fantastic World War One documentary we're watching on youtube to help the night pass.

Then again....I could just use the frigid day to daydream that I'm in warmer climes....like St. Lucia out in the Caribbean (on my bucket list of places to go).  Yeah....maybe that's what I'll do.  :)

To my Richmond friends: May the Odds Be Ever in Your Favor.  :)

No comments: