Happy Birthday Jeffery Thomas! Happy 2nd birthday to my monkey...my little boy.
Two years ago right now, I was exhausted but coasting on pure adrenaline. The first time you opened your eyes was when you heard your daddy's voice say your name right after you were born. We finally shared your name with our families....your Oma and Papa Harris were waiting to catch the Red Eye Flight from Phoenix to VA....and they were both silent (a good silent) when we told them you were named after your Papa. You stared at me the whole time I sang to you the first song I would ever sing to you (that song still is able to almost immediately calm you down). Your Oma and Papa Harris held you before you were even 10 hours old (and an historic haboob storm hit Phoenix). And before you were even 1 whole day old, I had introduced you to the Tour de France which we watched together in our hospital room. I started calling you my "monkey" that day and you've been my monkey ever since. The nurses marveled (I do not exaggerate) at my 29 hour labor....with no drugs. And they commented that they rarely had seen a baby born so alert as you.
| My monkey |
Last year at this time, you had turned 1 year old. We celebrated in the morning with your Uncle Eric and Aunt Julie Pedersen who had come to visit especially for your big celebration! It meant the world to us that we had family with us to share such a special day for such a special little boy. Sadly, you were teething...molars at that...and were running a fever and were just plain out of it. But that is okay. That week was also some of the hottest weather we had all summer and you were having a case of heat rash and little bit of heat exhaustion. We still celebrated you turning One. Your "Aunt" Kate and "Uncle" Adam threw a party for you in which Uncle Adam brewed a spectacular beer in your honor....and they had their house overtaken with 40+ people/kids because it was just too hot for anyone to be outside.
It was humbling to see you how dearly you were loved. I closed that day thinking of the words from Luke 2:19 - "But Mary treasured up all these things and pondered them in her heart".
| My one year old...with Tommy the Triceratop |
And now you are 2. YOU ARE TWO YEARS OLD! How did this happen? Where has the time gone? :) We're having a quiet celebration today....just you, me, and daddy. We started celebrating yesterday by taking you to your favorite place, the Botanical Gardens, and letting you play in the splash pad (along with every other child in RVA). It was your first time and you LOVED it! We then joined a lot of friends from church for a 4th of July cookout and you played with all the children, found rocks to show to me, ate a LOT of chips (but very little actual dinner), and watched daddy shoot off some fire works.
Today, you SKYPED with Oma and shared a birthday cupcake with her (and me) and tonight you'll SKYPE with Oma and Papa (who was golfing earlier) and Aunt Julie H (and I'm sure Bailey dog will want to bark hello!). It is hot outside so I think you can enjoy playing with your whale out in the front yard and cooling off....maybe I'll join you. :) And then we have your presents to open and more cupcakes to eat! YUM! And then, maybe we'll watch some Baseball (your favorite) or NASCAR (your other favorite....if it is on) or you can read some of daddy's train books in your new chair.
![]() |
| Splash Pad Fun |
![]() |
| All Patriotic on the 4th of July |
My dearest monkey.....my dearest Jeffery:
I don't know what to say. You have filled my life with such joy, beauty, wonder, exhaustion, laughter, frustration, and unconditional love as I never expected. We struggled and waited and prayed for you and God knew exactly what he was doing when he sent you to us. You are a miracle to me and I make sure to remember that every day....no matter your mood, no matter how tired I am. Your hugs, your kisses, your sweet little voice and infectious laughter...I am just so proud and honored to be your mommy. I love you to the moon and back my dearest little boy. Happy Birthday!
Love, Your Momma
"Because God made the stars to shine. Because God made the ivy twine. Because God made the sky so blue. Because God made you, that's why I love you."



No comments:
Post a Comment