Friday, June 14, 2013

An Ode to Dave

I am very lucky.  Jeffery is very lucky.  The Stig is very lucky.  Why?!  Because we all have this man in the picture below as a husband or father.  And with Father's Day being this weekend, I thought that I would take a little time to tell you why we are so lucky.  
The apple doesn't fall far from the proverbial tree...
I am lucky.  I had an unbelievable dad....who truly was a dad and NOT just a father (there IS a difference) and I have been blessed with a spouse who amazes me every day at how wonderful a father he is to our little boy.  (I give you permission to either gag or make sweet "awe" sounds.)  We have a very spirited little toddler who requires all of our attention and energy all day long.  Since I found out I was pregnant again...I have not had the energy to keep up with Jeffery.  I love him but....he absolutely exhausts me....sometimes to the point that I wake up in the morning after a fitful night of sleep and wonder how on earth I'm going to manage the day ahead.  

Somehow, Dave always knows that I am having a rough go of it....even before I tell him...and has already concocted a plan to help lighten my load and give me some MUCH needed peace.  I have lost count the number of times we finish breakfast and Dave asks me to get Jeffery dressed and put together his diaper bag because....Dave is whisking him away until the afternoon when Jeffery needs his nap.  

Several times, Dave has taken Jeffery with him to his office at church where Jeffery plays quietly by himself, is well behaved, and becomes the day's janitor as he pushes the big brooms around the social hall.  He has attended some meetings between Dave and Father N., helped Dave practice on both the organ and the piano, entertained some of the families there to homeschool their children, and been an absolute joy.  Dave LOVES the fact that he's not stuck in a cubicle and has the flexibility to bring Jeffery with him....not all the time...but enough to make a HUGE difference to me!
A Train is coming!!!!
One time, Dave took Jeffery north to the town of Ashland....a GREAT railroading town as the trains go right through the middle of downtown....to watch trains.  Jeffery was absolutely fascinated and we've heard almost nothing else since but "bye train".  They were gone for 4 hours....because afterwards, they visited the fishies at Bass Pro....and I felt refreshed when they returned.  


Jeffery is lucky because his daddy craves nothing more than to be with his little family.  Jeffery has become quite the "boy".  If you're a girl, even his momma, and Daddy walks by....forget it.  You've just become chopped liver.  Daddy is the one who gets on the floor and rough houses with Jeffery like little bear cubs.  Daddy is the one who chases Jeffery through the house and makes Jeffery squeal with glee and unbridled joy.  It is daddy's lap that Jeffery sits on when "Nocar" (Nascar) or "ball" (baseball) are on.  And Dave can't get enough!  He tries to incorporate Jeffery into anything he is doing.  Like.....going to a Squirrels Game.......
first Squirrel's Game of 2013...and he lasted ALL 9 innings!!!
.....or mowing the lawn......
He's Dave's Quality Control Manager!
....or working on the car....  (In fact, Dave bought him his own set of REAL (not foam, not plastic), full size wrenches.  Yes.  Metal Wrenches.  And Jeffery immediately took them to his ATV and started to "work" on it like he sees them do on TV during NASCAR races.  The instinct was pretty amazing....and left me speechless.)
And so it begins.....23 months going on 16 years
  .....or just relaxing outside on a beautiful summer day.
enjoying the beautiful June day
Dave isn't afraid of diapers, is a great dresser of little Jeffery, feeds him, etc.  He holds him in the back of the choir area during Mass AND sings/leads the singing of chants in Latin at the same time.  He takes him from me during the readings and homily (since he's already sat through one Mass) so I can truly listen and focus on what is being said.  He takes over the running of the house so I can get out and have dinner and a night out with my girlfriends every now and again.  All of this on top of working 1 full time job and 3 part time jobs to make ends meet and provide for our family.  And when I am feeling my worst...his absolute joy and excitement about our expanding family and the arrival of the Stig in the near future is positively contagious.  :)

Yessiree!!!!  We are all pretty lucky to have him around!!!  My dad was and is an amazing dad.  I am still pretty well convinced that he is the best there is.  And I'm thrilled to report that Jeffery and the Stig...and any other future children...will be able to say the same thing about their daddy!  He is not just their father.  He is their dad....and that makes all the difference in the world!!!!!

Happy Father's Day, Dave!!!!

No comments: