Friday, May 24, 2013

May Days

May has simply flown by.  It seems like it was just yesterday that my family visited and yet it has been an entire month.  While Dave is done for the school year at the University of Richmond, we're both done for the season with the James River Singers, and I'm done singing at St. Benedicts until after the baby is born, we're still pretty busy.  Dave has been out of town every weekend (both Friday and Saturday) adjudicating choral festivals throughout different parts of the state.  It is good income to help get us through the summer but it does limit our weekend activities.  But he loves doing it and we only have this weekend and next before he's done.

May finds us celebrating both Mother's Day and our anniversary.  My wish on Mother's Day was to go look for a new couch (we're in the market for one).  Exciting, I know, but it was a productive trip and gave us good ideas.  But the highlight was the necklace that Dave got for me....one that I had hinted at wanting after a friend showed it to me.  Elephants are my favorite animal and I immediately fell in love with this necklace of a mama and baby elephant.  I hinted, he listened, and I absolutely LOVE my new necklace and everything it stands for.  :)  

Our anniversary was last week and fell on a day that he was adjudicating a festival and we had a graduation party for a friend to attend.  On top of this...we were both suffering severely from nasty allergies and were not feeling very well.  But....in spite of this...Dave came home from a morning of listening to choirs and then an afternoon of partying to this....a bedroom full of balloons.  Attached to each ballon (there were 11...as we have been married 11 years) was a piece of paper with a year's worth of happy memories and highlights.  He had to go around the room and read the years in order and it was a wonderful trip down memory lane....for both of us.  :)

I am still owed a nice dinner date out (Dave said he would arrange for the babysitter....music to my ears!) but....our allergies took a turn for the worse and we have been sick all week with both of us visiting the doctor.  I had/have an Upper Respiratory Infection....which then also included during this week a lovely case of pink eye in both eyes.  He has a severe Sinus Infection.  The amount of kleenex and cough medicine that we've plowed through has been insane.  All of this on top of me being 6 months pregnant....which GREATLY limits my medication options (no strong cough medicine with codeine for me).  :(  I would give my right arm for something with codeine in it come the middle of the night....as I'm in the middle of a 1-3 hour non-stop and violent coughing spasm.  It hasn't been the best week.

But before we got sick, we had a wonderful (albeit short) visit from my Aunt Mary.  She was in town for 1 day on business and we got to see her that evening.  She came bearing treats from Williams Sonoma (who she works for) and Pottery Barn Kids and gave Jeffery one of his new favorite toys (next to his ATV from Grandpa Jeff and his set of REAL wrenches from his daddy).....this sprinkler whale.



He LOVES it (as does our yard)!  We thought it was going to be a small whale...but then we saw that it needed a hand pump to inflate and we knew we were in for an adventure.   He played it in for almost an hour on what was a pretty warm day.  Adam, our neighbor, even briefly joined in the fun and ran through a couple times.  :)  I have visions, as I get bigger and become more and more uncomfortable in the hot and humid summer that lays ahead of me, of sitting in my chair under the spray of water while Jeffery runs around.  2 whales in the yard (one plastic...one pregnant)...it should make for quite the spectacle!  :)

No comments: