Friday, February 1, 2013

Winter Baking and Snow

You wish you could smell my house.  Seriously.  Dave is on this baking kick.  I don't know what has gotten into him but I'm not asking any questions as I am reaping the benefits.  In the past month he has learned to make: Southwest Cornbread (with cream corn and green chilies), regular Cornbread, Irish Soda Bread, Plain Scones....and then this (the picture below).  An amazing loaf of white bread.  From someone who had practically banned all bread products from our diet a couple years ago...this is a definite 180 but he promises to not make it a regular thing.  :)  And the good thing about these bread products is that they're fresh and not chuck full of nasty preservatives and chemicals.  And they're sooooo yummy!!!!!!  Spread some raspberry jam (with the seeds) over a toasted piece of this bread and you might think you were in bakery heaven!  :)

And on a final note (concerning the bread)....we don't own a bread maker machine.  All of this has been done the old fashioned way.  :)  And...thank you Aunt Mary!!!!  This bread loaf and the Plain Scones recipes came from the amazing cook book you sent us!  THANK YOU!
Dave's new hobby....bread making
Moving on....we've been having some terribly cold weather....for Richmond, that is.  The low last week at one point was 12 degrees.  VERY unusual.  And the highs have been in the 20's.  Brrrrr.  Last week it snowed for the 2nd time this year.  So, last Saturday morning, we bundled Jeffery up (it was actually lovely in the sun) and took him into the front yard to play in the snow.  He LOVES the stuff.  And I'm in trouble.  TERRIBLE trouble!  Why?  Because he thinks being hit with snow balls (which his father was throwing at him) is funny.  Give it just a couple years and I'll have two boys hurdling tightly packed snow balls in my direction.  Oh goody!  
What is this white stuff on my mittens?  And look Grandma Jean!  I'm wearing my mittens!!!!!!
The snow shovel is a REALLY big stick
Helping daddy shovel our neighbors' sidewalk....our good deed for the day
Playing in the snow is so much fun!!!!!
Put me down mommy.  I want to be back in the snow!
Daddy just hit him with a snow ball.  He laughed and laughed.
Two days ago, it was 77 degrees and we went to bed under a tornado watch.  Today, it was 34 degrees with 25 mph winds so it felt like it was 21 degrees.  You gotta love January/February in Virginia!!!!

No comments: