It's March. In fact....we're almost to the end of March. If you take a look back at my previous blogs about March in 2011 or 2010, you will find a trend: the month of March makes me terribly homesick for Arizona. I won't go into all the reasons I miss AZ during this month....you can read those reasons in the previous posts. I will, however, touch up on the one huge reason I miss AZ during this grand month.....the smell of the Orange Blossoms. If I could bottle that stuff up, I would. I miss that smell so much.
This March is different...and not because of Jeffery (he just seems to make me more homesick as we skype with my parents every week and he goes to touch their faces on the computer and I just want to cry at being so far away from them and the fact that he can't reach out and really hug them or get smothered in kisses from them). No. The reason this March is different is because while I started the month out with my usual "March Homesickness"....I am ending the month with a full heart.
About two weeks ago, I was having a bad day. I was homesick (Jeffery and I had just skyped with my parents), it was one of Dave's long days where he's gone almost 12 hours, and there were several other issues that were contributing to me having a "blue day". I went to get the mail and as I opened the box, a surreal thing happened. The aroma of Orange Blossoms suddenly surrounded me. I couldn't understand it. I was almost giddy from the smell of home but was perplexed as to where it was coming from. Thinking it was just in my head, I took the mail out and on the front stoop, started to look through it when I came upon an envelope addressed to me with a return address from Arizona and one of my good friends from high school, Dustin. The smell...that beautiful smell...was coming from the envelope now in my hands. I opened it quickly and in the bottom of the envelope......found this:
| Orange Blossoms |
Oh! I cannot begin to tell you what that smell did to me.....what his thoughtfulness did for my "blue day". Poo-poo technology all you want and go ahead and debate the "friend vs. acquaintance" issue stemming from Facebook. While you're doing that....I'll be breathing in deeply the orange blossom smell coming from my envelope...which was sent to me by my friend, who I reconnected with on Facebook after many years, and pretending I'm home without a care in the world. :) I have been vocal in the past about my March Homesickness....about my love of the smell of Orange Blossoms...not just in my posts here on this blog but on facebook as well. Well, Dustin remembered this and sent me the smell of home. I couldn't believe it! I was floored and speechless and am not ashamed to admit that I just sat down on my front step and shed a few tears of happiness as I just kept taking deep, deep whiffs.
![]() |
| Happiness is being in VA and smelling AZ Orange Blossoms!!! |
And to make things even better....from the comfort of my living room last night, we watched the Cubs play a Spring Training game in Arizona! Orange Blossoms and Spring Training.....all in Virginia! I am one happy girl this March!!!! :)

1 comment:
That is SO SWEET!!! Totally made me tear up. But that doesn't take much these days. ;)
Post a Comment