Wednesday, March 2, 2011

March = Confusion and Consistency

Ahhhh. March....how I love you! As a rule...I love the fall and spring and pretty much hate winter and summer. March is always a teaser with night temperatures in the 20's and day temperatures being anywhere from 45 degrees to almost 80 degrees. The crocus and daffodils are emerging and the robins are back in the yard. You can have snow storms (like we did 2 years ago) and then a week later, tornado warnings. March never seems to able to make up its mind about what it wants to be...except confusing.

But if there is one thing that is absolutely and without a doubt consistent about the month of March....it is that I suffer the entire month long from a serious bout of being homesick for Arizona. :) As soon as we start to see more sun than grey sky (thank GOD January is done!) and there is a warmth to the breeze....my thoughts turn to Arizona in March.

Here I am....at my volunteer position at the Lewis Ginter Botanical Gardens...where I am thankfully working in the green house and get to visit my beloved orange tree every week! I stand below and drink in the beautiful fragrance of the blossoms and can almost imagine that I am in my parents' backyard. :)
And here is the link to my previous blog...or "Ode to Arizona in March". Click here.

I have recently fallen absolutely in love with the poetry of Sara Teasdale and found that she wrote a poem about Arizona. So in closing:

Night in Arizona

    THE moon is a charring ember
    Dying into the dark;
    Off in the crouching mountains
    Coyotes bark.

    The stars are heavy in heaven,
    Too great for the sky to hold --
    What if they fell and shattered
    The earth with gold?

    No lights are over the mesa,
    The wind is hard and wild,
    I stand at the darkened window
    And cry like a child.

1 comment:

Julianne said...

Totally agree with March being the best month in AZ. I think orange blossom is the best smell in the world. My husband and I argue... he says the best smell is pine trees, but he grew up in WA. There aren't orange blossoms there- the poor guy.