As you've seen in the previous post...we recently returned from a trip to Arizona. While Dave returned to Virginia after the baptism (someone has to work and hold down the fort....and clean up after hurricanes), I stayed in Arizona for two weeks. Dave then flew back out to AZ this past weekend so we could attend our best friends' wedding. Baptisms, weddings, extended time with family...it was such a special 2 weeks!
Confession: I have been one of those people that as I see someone with a baby board an airplane, start praying that they're not sitting close to me. I saw these looks as, with a screaming baby, we boarded the planes in Richmond and in Dallas on our flight out and I now empathize with those traveling with small ones. But angels smiled on us because once seated, Jeffery acted like a seasoned traveler and slept the whole time!!! I was floored....and soooo relieved when we got compliments both flights from relieved fellow passengers at how good he was. Whew!
At 7 weeks old, Jeffery has traveled farther than many grown people we know in Virginia! Have baby, will travel! :)
 |
| Safe and sound at Sky Harbor Airport, AZ |
My parents were THRILLED to see us! They couldn't get their hands on their little grandson fast enough! Dave and I realize (happily) that we have dropped a notch on the totem pole. :) We were so fortunate that they were able to borrow a pack n' play and car seat carrier/base from friends...and that I was able to borrow a swing from one of my friends in the area. There is no way that we would have been able to bring all of that with us and all 3 pieces were essential to making the stay in AZ a success.
My mom had been going through boxes of old clothes that she had kept....unfortunately....little dresses and frilly tops aren't going to cut it with Jeffery. But....my mom did present me with the gem of a t-shirt below. My dad's Honor Choir of '79-80 (his first Honor Choir at Westwood) had this shirt made for me upon my birth and it is now Jeffery's.
 |
| Jeffery is a Westwood Warrior!!! |
My sister had not yet met her nephew. So while Dave went off to join in my dad's Sonoran Desert Chorale rehearsal that first night in AZ, I stayed at home to introduce Jeffery to his Aunt Julie Harris....and his Grand Aunt Weezie and Grand Uncle Joe who had come in from Iowa.
 |
| Hello Aunt Julie!!! |
In making the plans for the baptism, we knew that we were willingly traveling to Arizona during the hottest time of the year. The day of Jeffery's baptism, it was 114. :( But....the heat is tolerable when there is a lovely and refreshing pool sitting in the back of my parents' yard. I was in the pool almost every day while I was out there and loved ending the day with a refreshing dip in the pool with my parents before heading off to bed. Of course....we had to see how Jeffery would react to the pool. He LOVED it and became calm and relaxed when ever he went swimming with us. Grandpa Jeff and little Jeffery loved doing laps back and forth across the pool.
 |
| Daddy and Jeffery poolside. |
 |
| I think Jeffery thought the pool was a big bathtub. :) |
 |
| Swimming with Mommy |
 |
| Swimming with Daddy and Jason in Jason's pool |
Because they
are "Grand"....my Aunt Weezie and Uncle Joe have decided to have that be their title instead of "Great Aunt" and "Great Uncle". :) It is my hope that we can celebrate a belated First Birthday for Jeffery in the Crystal River Valley in Colorado next year with my family and Grand Aunt Weezie and Grand Uncle Joe!
 |
| Cuddle time with Grand Aunt Weezie |
I am pretty sure that my family thinks we've jumped off the deep end. :) We have read a book that talks about soothing babies and the book suggests loud noises like radio static, vacuum cleaners....or hair dryers. So...in preparation for the trip, we downloaded the sound of hair dryer from itunes onto our ipod. NO KIDDING!!! :) We set this up with portable speakers in his pack n' play, set him down for a nap...and he was out in a matter of minutes! Well....Grand Uncle Joe found that he could calm Jeffery by making a similar noise himself. Joe had the family in fits of laughter as he turned blue in the face while making this noise. But it worked and I think Jeffery was in awe of his Grand Uncle Joe! :)
 |
| Jeffery in a trance from Grand Uncle Joe's "noises". :) |
My sister and Aunt Weezie were soooo kind and threw a baby shower for me the weekend of the baptism. It was so wonderful to see friends, Dave's mom and Aunt Stephanie, and my Arizona adoptive family who were even at my mom's baby shower when she was pregnant with me. It was a wonderful afternoon!
The week and a half between Dave leaving and coming back to AZ flew by for me however, Jeffery and I missed Dave very much. We skyped with him at one point and as I held the computer up and over Jeffery, Dave said "Hello Jeffery" and little Jeffy instantly smiled. :) But while we missed him, we had a wonderful time with my family. Jeffery had his first trip to a Sports Bar, a Tobacco shop, Mexican restaurants, etc. He met
tons of new people. And he fell in love with new things like.....his furry cousin Bailey (my sister's 8 month old golden retriever) who liked to lick his feet and his head....and ceiling fans which we do not have here at home in VA but make him smile and coo like nothing else....and my parents' ottoman where he could lay by himself and stare at the ceiling fan and have a grand ol' time. :)
 |
| Go Sundevils!!! |
 |
| Cuddle time with Granny Jean |
 |
| Seeing his friend, the ceiling fan, on my parents' ottoman (the blanket on top was my changing blanket when I was a baby) |
 |
| Gnawing on Granny Jean's finger |
While we were in Arizona, Jeffery turned 2 months old! I can't believe how quickly the time has flown. In honor of the occasion, my mom and I got cupcakes!! Yum, yum!! And to celebrate his 2 month birthday, Jeffery learned a couple new tricks.....
 |
| My owl is 2 months old |
.....like how to take a bottle! Thank goodness!!!! He had done so a couple times in VA but had suddenly refused to cooperate anymore. My family had struggled every night to get him to eat from a bottle. It was and is essential that he do so as 1) I was going to be in a wedding at the end of my trip to AZ and would be gone almost all day Saturday and 2) as soon as I returned to VA, I would be starting rehearsals with the James River Singers every Tuesday night and will need to leave him with a sitter. But he fought and fought until FINALLY....Grandpa Jeff made the breakthrough!!! :)
 |
| Aunt Julie feeding Jeffery |
He also learned how take a pacifier which we have put to good use!!!!!!!! And he has learned to smile socially which instantly warms people's hearts.
 |
| Jeffery on the 2nd afghan that Aunt Julie has made him!! Thank you Aunt Julie!! |
Jeffery and I moved to my sister's house at the end of our trip as my Aunt Michelle came to visit my parents. (Thank you Julie for giving us your room!!!) It was wonderful to see Aunt Michelle and introduce her to little Jeffery. Dave came back to Arizona the next day and that afternoon, we celebrated Dave's birthday....two days early. We spent the afternoon relaxing in the pool and then had a great lunch followed by a cake my mom had made especially for him, more homemade ice cream, and the opening of some presents...including a Swiss Army Knife my dad brought back from Switzerland for Dave. Dave was surprised by the celebration and it was a great beginning to our final celebratory weekend in Arizona.
 |
| Happy Birthday Dave!!! |
After two weeks, I am happy to be home and Dave is thrilled to have his family back in the house. However....it was very hard to wake up yesterday and not have my parents and sister around. I have never been keen to move back to Arizona....at least not to the Valley....but I came back to VA with a new appreciation of the beauty (yes...beauty) of the Phoenix Valley and a renewed love for the place I grew up. It was an amazing trip and one that I will never forget and will treasure forever.
 |
| Big sky and a beautiful sunset in AZ |
1 comment:
it was SUCH a pleasure to get to see you at your shower! And Wee Jeff is so gorgeous! :) Love to you all!
Post a Comment