Sunday, August 21, 2011

Books on a Deserted Island

For the past week or so, Dave and I have been reading out-loud one of our favorite books, Dandelion Wine. We have enjoyed our out-loud reading sessions and have found that this story, which we have both read multiple times, has taken on a new meaning as we hear the words come alive. In the winter, we sometimes find nothing more lovely than sitting in front of a roaring fire with a glass of wine in our hands and reading out-loud poems by Frost or Wordsworth or Dickinson. (Call us weird or old souls but before you mock or roll your eyes, you should try it sometime!) Anyway....this prompted a discussion the other day of what our favorite books are...the ones that if you were on a deserted island, you would be lost without.

Here are a few of mine..... (Dave's list follows mine)

I first read this during my senior year in high school for my English class and I have made it a point to read it almost every summer since. After insisting that Dave read it, it has become one of his favorites too and as he pointed out, there is something for every age and stage of life in this book. It is more of a collection of little vignettes and it is just magical (for lack of a better word) in its descriptions of a small midwestern town and the experiences during one summer.

Next would be this masterpiece.... I read this my junior year in high school for my English class and it has stayed with me ever since. I will admit that I have never read the second half of the book which outlines Frankl's Logotherapy idea but the first half is....unforgettable. The book deals with Frankl's concentration camp experiences during World War II and in spite of the subject matter, it is one of the most uplifting books I can think of.

Of course there would have to be a Jane Austen book included in this list. :) I do not believe that I have ever felt such a connection to a character as I do with Ann Elliot. I do not know what it is as my family is nothing like hers and I am not overlooked or ignored but I feel such a connection to her. I believe this book to be Austen's best....and most personal.
And the romantic in me cannot help but read Capt. Wentworth's letter to her at the end over and over and over again. :) Now THAT is a letter! :)

In high school, my mom, sister and I watched this movie and I just loved it! It wasn't until almost 10 years later that I found out that it wasn't just a movie but was originally a book. Since then, I have regarded the book as one of my favorites. It is blissful to read.

When I get homesick for the West, I turn to this book. Only people who have lived or visited in the West can truly understand and appreciate Cather's descriptions of the landscape. Add to that a wonderful story and you have an amazing novel!

My mom gave me her copy of this book when I was in junior high but I was only able to get through the first half which dealt with Halliburton's adventures through Europe. Once he got to central Asia, I lost interest. I decided to try again in college and fell madly in love with the book. I made the mistake of suggesting to Dave that he read it a couple years ago and after he was done, he was inspired to leave our comfortable life behind and embark upon a world adventure. :)

Ahhh...The Giver. No other book from my childhood has had such a lasting impact or left such an impression on me as this short novel.

The following would be the books that Dave could not do without on a deserted island....though I have to say that I LOVE all of these selections as well! :)








What books would be with you on a deserted island?

1 comment:

Meg said...

oooh good one! I would need The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy series, Little Women, On the Road, Irresistible Revolution, Anne of Green Gables and Mere Christianity.

I like a varied reading life! ;)