Monday, January 5, 2009

You Get What You Pay For

Dave and I have been married for a blessed 6 1/2 years. And during that time, we have returned TWO Christmas trees -- live Christmas trees, mind you. Since our first Christmas, we have bought our tree from Home Depot; good selection, low price, fresh trees. We strayed one year in Boise and bought the tree from somewhere else --- and ended up returning it the next day as it was virtually dead on arrival. We returned to Home Depot.

I do not know that my parents have ever had to return a tree -- and they've been married 35 1/2 years.

As is tradition, we returned to Home Depot this year and bought a 6 ft tree that was very compact but I was convinced that it would relax once it got in the house. 30 hours later, it had not relaxed NOR had it drunk 1 drop of water. Another dead on arrival tree.

A friend suggested we patronize Sneeds Nursery. They had the most beautiful trees -- at three times the cost of the trees at Home Depot!!! I fell in love with a 9 foot tree forgetting that our ceiling is 8 ft. :-) But the tree came home and the old tree (looking very pathetic next to the new one) was returned to Home Depot.

Voila! Our finished tree!!! Isn't it beautiful? Please be sure to notice the "flying moose" at the top. The tree was so tall that Dave had to chop about a foot off the top and even then, my angel wouldn't fit. So, Dave decided that it was the Moose's turn to herald in the Christmas season. :-)

And here is the tree with Christmas goodies surrounding its base. Let me be the first to say that you really do get what you pay for. It is January 6th as I write this (Happy Epiphany everyone!) and the tree is still drinking loads of water and is still fresh to the touch. Maybe it will actually make it to Candlemas on Feb. 2nd!!

Merry Christmas Everyone!!!

1 comment:

Susie said...

What a beautiful Christmas tree! I love that you still have it up on January 6th... I still have mine up too! I usually leave our tree up until the epiphany, but I just don't want to take it down yet. I cheated a little though... ours is a pre-lit artificial tree. At least I didn't have to worry about it burning the house down while we were in California for Christmas!