Thursday, October 2, 2014

Musings from Jakob

Jakob here.  It seems to me that the only way you read posts about me is if I compose them.  Hmmph!  So....the oldest child gets all the attention and  gets written about and the younger child is left to fend for himself/herself?!  Mommy and Daddy say that they can't empathize with me as they are both oldest children in their families.  Fine.  I can do it myself.  Daddy says that I'm going to have to make my way in the world since Jeffery gets the "estate and title" as he is the oldest so I might as well start now.  :)

A lot has happened since Mommy last wrote about me.  For one, I now have Viking treasure bins!  Okay.  They're not really mine.  Jeffery got this cool toy bin set for his birthday but mommy put all of my toys in the bottom bins so I could have easy access to them.  My favorite thing to do is to empty them of all the toys....and then not play with a single toy I took out!  :)  It makes mommy exasperated.  It makes me laugh.  

I have been crawling since late summer.  At first, I did an "army-man" style of crawling.  Mommy said  it reminded her of what Jeffery did when he was my age.  I got a long fairly well and was really fast....but I wanted to do something different than Jeffery.  So now, I crawl on my knees and hands.  I find I can chase after Jeffery and daddy more quickly this way.  Mommy also appreciates this as the front of my clothes don't get as messy anymore.  

I have lots of friends that I like to play next to.  Many of them are at church but two are the Woo Twins....their parents used to live next to mommy and daddy.  I get to play with them every week and it is great fun!  But.....mommy better be careful.  Just between you and me.....the four of us are planning to overthrow her and establish our own authority.....

.....we're just waiting for the right time to make our escape.

These days, when I am not busy at work in my baby office, I am most likely in high level meetings with Daisy Duck, Wilbur Cow, Rocky Dog, Fred Monkey, and George Hippo.  They make up my cabinet and advise me in the ways of being a 1 year old.  In fact, it was George Hippo who convinced me of the benefits gained from crawling on my knees and hands.  I am lucky to be surrounded by such great minds.

And if I'm not in meetings with my cabinet, then I'm having secured recreation time.  This usually happens when mommy is trying to cook dinner or get Jeffery's lunch together.  I guess her cabinet (I don't know who they are) advised her that if she didn't want me pulling all the books off the book shelves or attempting to crawl up the stairs or hitting the glass on the curio cabinet because I see my reflection in the back mirror while she is otherwise engaged....then I should probably be contained.  Hmmph!  I think I need to meet with her cabinet to argue my case!!

I'm also growing up.  I LOVED taking baths in my tummy tub.  Jeffery was in the big boy tub by the time he was almost 10 months old because he kept trying to stand up in it, making the whole thing fall over with him in it.  Not cool.  Me?!  I just liked to sit in there and soak.  It truly is therapeutic and relaxing.  I never once tried to stand up.  Just give me my duckie and I was a happy bather.  But....mommy started having difficulty bathing me because I was just too big....so.....

....I now take my baths with Jeffery.  This is A LOT of fun!  I love to splash him (because he's not a big fan of it) and I'm such a big helper to mommy because I make sure her floor gets washed every time I take a bath.  I guess Jeffery was never a big splasher but I say "have water?  Splash it all over!!!!".  

I turned One recently.  I'm one year old.  I'm not really a baby anymore.  Fine by me!  My beyond awesome Godparents came over on my birthday to hang out with me.  Mommy says that "Aunt" Lauren's voice is one of the voices I calm down for (she was also mommy's Doula when I was born).  I always smile for her....I mean....you kind of have to when she's seen you when you're just seconds old. And "Uncle" Mark makes me laugh....after I warm up.  :)

They brought with them their 3rd child and youngest....Patrick.  I'm going to have to talk to him and warn him about the dangers of not being the oldest child.  Maybe this can be a bonding experience for us.  :)  Maybe he can help me in my cause to overthrow the current dictatorship in my house.  :)

Mommy and Daddy had a party for my birthday....complete with a really cool cake.  Almost 50 people came.  I was a good boy during the party but it wasn't difficult.  There were all these cute girls who were wanting to hold me and I was very happy to oblige.  

And with these Nordic/Scandinavian looks and that charming smile.....who wouldn't want to hold me?!!!  :)


I even try to charm cupcakes with sweet looks.  Mommy informs me that this was the last cupcake from Pearl's since we're no longer celebrating my month birthdays.  I cry FOUL as this was the first one I had actually had a bite of.  Oma is totally on my side in this and thinks it is just poppycock that I only got to taste one of the cupcakes that everyone else had in celebration of me.  She's told mommy as much.  Maybe I can get Oma to help in my coup.  :)

But in all seriousness....I only talk a big talk.  I am starting to assert my will and voice my wishes and protests more loudly but when all is said and done, I just want mommy and daddy and Jeffery.  

Jeffery makes me laugh like no one else can.  I purposefully go over and start to play hit him just to get a reaction from him.  He is always hugging me and giving me toys to play with.  He sings to me and wakes me up from my naps sometimes.  He is always looking after me and I love my big brother so very much.

Daddy also makes me laugh.  I love to rough-house with him and I light up and start kicking and vocalizing the minute I see or hear him.  He gets me up almost every morning (when mommy is at the gym) and will take me into Jeffery's room and we all sit on Jeffery's bed and have a fun time.  

Mommy is my mommy.  End of story.  When I'm hurt or sad or upset....there is no one else I want but mommy.  If she leaves the room, I start to get antsy and protest.  I light up when I see her face and I like to reach for her nose and pat it.  Every night, she comes in right before she goes to bed and gets me up to give me one more bottle.  She says that she's "topping me off".  She picks me up and hugs me and I put my arms around her and snuggle my head into her shoulder.  Sometimes I even give a contented sigh.  She's my mommy and I love her to the moon and back.

But please, don't let on about my mushy-gushy side.  I am a dangerous Viking almost toddler......  

.....Or at least, I will be if mommy doesn't start writing about me more often!  :)

No comments: