Thursday, October 25, 2012

Go West, Young Man

My birthday was last week.  It was a rather uneventful day as all three of us were recovering from being really sick that weekend but I knew I had something to look forward to...going home to my beloved family and to the West and to Arizona.

I have a new found appreciation for David.  Oh dear Lord!  This was Jeffery's 4th time on an airplane (pretty amazing for a 15 month old) but it was my first time dealing with him by myself.  Dave could not accompany us to Arizona for our trip so it was just Jeffery and me heading west.  Imagine if you will: a child who is considered by the airline as a "lap child" (meaning he sits on your lap so you don't have to buy a ticket)....but HATES sitting on laps and with his new found freedom in walking, wants to be toddling at all times.  Needless to say, the flight to Arizona was exhausting.  Security in Richmond royally ticked me off.  The man who leaned over to his wife in my row as I'm boarding the flight from Dallas to Phoenix and said "Are you kidding me?  Someone up there must REALLY not like me"...as he's looking straight at Jeffery -- NICE way to start a 2 hour plane ride (I wanted to deck him) -- was a gem.  And there I am...wishing that Dave was there to tag team with me and help with the stroller and the toddler who is out of the stroller and racing down the jetway...and help with the carryon which is hitting everyone in the elbow as I board the plane because I have a monkey who is climbing out of my arms.  I know.  I know.  These are the times I will cherish.  (sigh)

Somehow...by the grace of God...we survived the trip and I was rewarded.  My parents and I make it a point to Skype at least once a week with Jeffery.  I know I have spoken highly of this in the past.  But I will FOREVER be in debt to Skype.  Jeffery and I rolled past the Security Gates and there were my parents, waiting for us....and the minute Jeffery's eyes landed on Grandma and Grandpa...he broke out into the biggest smile!  :)  He knew those people!!  He sees them every week!  He knew their voices, he knew their smiles.  Skype is absolutely priceless and I will forever sing its praises.  He immediately went into Grandpa's waiting arms and was beside himself with glee.  It was the most precious thing to see.
"Welcome to AZ" dinner at Mangos - one of my favorites!
Roaming mommy's old haunts before Chorale Rehearsal - Sanctuary of First United Methodist Church of Mesa
My sister was on Fall Break with her school so...our first full day in Arizona was spent with the entire Harris family (and Jeffery) traveling up north to Flagstaff to have a picnic on Mount Humphreys and see the beautiful fall colors.  It was an absolutely gorgeous day and it was so nice to be back on the mountain. Jeffery was at first a little unsure of everything....but then he found a stick to play with and seemed to be just fine.
Picnic time
Being his adorable "baby model" self 
Mom and Julie
Mom and Me
Me and Jeffery
Jeffery out in the meadow
He is so independent
LOVE LOVE LOVE this picture of me and Jeffery
Riding on top of Grandpa is so much fun
Happiness is being with Grandma and Grandpa
Love my monkey
The mountain in fall splendor
Running away...with and from Grandma
LOVE this time of year
I miss my beloved Aspen Trees
The San Francisco Peaks
The Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary Catholic Church in Flagstaff - where Dave and I got married
Once we got back from Flag and Jeffery was safely in bed and down for the night, I left Grandma and Grandpa to babysit and met up with some friends from high school.  We all converged at a local bar called Casey Moore's down near Mill Street and ASU in Tempe...and had a BLAST catching up with each other.  Amy (who refused to have her picture taken), Erik, and I were all the same year and Meg was 2 years behind us but we all have the same experiences of going to Westwood and singing under my dad in Honor Choir and participating in musicals together.  It was SO wonderful to see these three friends and we had a great time!
Me and Meg
Me and Erik
We stuck around the house the next day and Jeffery got to ride the tricycle that my parents borrowed from a friend.  He loved that thing!  But he was most interested in the pool.  Now please remember....this is Saturday, October 20th that I am talking about.  October 20th.  Well past pool season.  But he wanted in there so badly...so I put on the swimmer diapers I had brought with me just in case and he sat on the top step...and LOVED every minute of it!  My sister's dog, Bailey, decided that she would join him and the two of them had a grand time!
That is pure joy on his face

Speaking of my sister's dog...Bailey and Jeffery were two peas in a pod.  Bailey was SOOO good around him.  Phew.  And he was SOOO excited to see her and be around her.  Double Phew.  She licked his feet and he would enthusiastically pat her head and they just got along great!
Grandma has two "helpers"
Getting Bailey kisses
Silly Bailey!  :)
Jeffery delighted his Librarian Grandmother by demonstrating how much he loves to read.  He loves people to read books to him, he loves to pick a book and sit down in a corner...or in the middle of the room...and "read" the book himself, he loves to help you turn pages.  He LOVES books!
"Is Your Mama a Llama?" with Grandpa
"Goodnight Moon" with Aunt Julie
"The Poky Little Puppy" with Godfather Jason
Jason and Barbara Winfield...Jeffery's Godparents...made a special trip from NM to AZ just to visit their Godson.  :)  Warms my heart every time I think of it.  They met my mom and my sister and me and Jeffery for dinner and then they came back over to my house for some wine and further catching up.  It was so lovely to see them and it was SUCH a special treat for them to see how big Jeffery has become and how well he toddles around.  I can't thank them enough for making the trip over just to see us!

On Sunday, Jeffery and I went to church with my parents at First United Methodist of Mesa (where I spent my teenage years) and saw a lot of old friends.  And then, Jeffery and I met Jason and Barbara and attended Mass together at the church where Jason and Barbara got married last year.  We said goodbye to the Winfields and then came home where my mom made a birthday dinner for me of ribs (they were amazing).  After Jeffery's nap, we headed up to Scottsdale and the McCormick Railroad Park...where, like last Christmas, we rode on the train and had a wonderful time!  Choo-choo!!!!
My two Jeffs on Sunday morning.
All Aboard!!
Not the "Dinosaur Train" but even more fun!!

Swinging at the Railroad Park

Monday and Tuesday came and went far too quickly.  Dad had an all day event with the Mesa Public Schools to oversee on Monday so he was gone most of the day.  On Tuesday, he babysat Jeffery (and dealt with two VERY big diapers and put him down for his nap...way to go Grandpa!) while mom took me clothes shopping for my birthday!  :)  Julie came back down to Mesa on Tuesday for a final dinner at our favorite, Tia Rosa's,...and then it was time to pack up clothes and toys and books and catch our flight back to Virginia early Wednesday morning.  We were there almost a week...and it felt like 3 days.    We just do not live close enough.  (sigh)
"Helping" Grandpa make coffee
Sitting nicely with Grandma
Having secret conversations with the other little boy
"Flying Baby" with Grandpa.  You should have heard both of them laugh!  :)
The flights home were MUCH better than the flights out to AZ.  Security in Phoenix was much nicer and more helpful than in VA (there is a reason Sky Harbor Airport has been named the country's friendliest airport)...my fellow passengers were not cretans...Jeffery slept on me (this was TRULY a miracle!!)...and everyone commented on what a wonderful baby he was.  Phew.  He was certainly a trooper.  And then we wheeled out past security and he saw his daddy...and broke out into a HUGE smile!  :)  It was good to be home.

So, we are home and it is good to be home.  But I already miss my family.  With that in mind, it is a good thing then that I just got their trip itinerary as they are coming to visit us for a whole week around Christmas and New Years!!!!  YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments: