Once upon a time....in a state often confused as being "Iowa" but is really "Idaho"...Dave was (for some reason) on the Idaho Humane Society's website when he came across this picture...
In disbelief that a pure bred Golden Retriever was sitting at the Humane Society, he immediately called to make inquiries. They confirmed that "Shannon" (a HORRIBLE name for a male dog!) was indeed awaiting adoption.
December 13th, 2004, Shannon (later re-named Rusty) joined the Pedersen household. Dave arranged everything, unbeknownst to me, and brought him home as an early Christmas present to me....as I LOVE Goldens after growing up with one (Katie). That night, after we came home from work, he dragged me out into the backyard....and there....in the darkness...I saw the silhouette of a pair of ears that could only belong to a Golden Retriever...followed by a loud bark.
| Rusty's 1st night with the Pedersens |
He was (as far as the pound knew) 4.5 years old. He was a pure bred Golden Retriever -- though we think that he had some Irish Setter thrown in there for good measure. He was 90 lbs (very overweight for a Golden) and he acted like he was 10 years old. He had a long body and a massive head. He had been relinquished because his former owners said that he was jumping their 4 foot fence -- yeah right! He had obviously had a VERY heavy hand used on him because he was terrified of men and would just cower when one (including Dave) came close. He was the sweetest, most mellow and patient, most beautiful dog ever. And he was my early Christmas present!
| Merry Christmas, Jessica!! |
| Rusty's 1st bath |
| Swimming in the Boise River |
| Chillin' in the back yard |
| The old soul |
| Such a pathetic look! |
He also loved to travel. So much so that he willingly got into his crate, was loaded on to an airplane, and made the move to Virginia with us! His aunt (and my good friend), Kelly Kelvie, was sad to see him leave Boise. She is the one who gave him his official name: Russell (Rusty for Short) Clifford (because he was a bid red dog) Pedersen. :)
| Unsure about Virginia |
| Best Friends |
I didn't realize it...he was still my Rusty...but time was catching up to my big red dog. His hearing was going (though he could still miraculously hear the fridge being opened), he was sleeping more and more, and the spark that he used to have just wasn't there anymore. When we had a huge snow storm 2 years ago and he actually played in the snow, I almost fell over from shock.
Rusty still had many friends everywhere...but as of this summer, he could no longer take long walks through the neighborhood to visit with people. He had always been amazing with little kids and would lick them and let them tug on his ears and pat him. He has given Jeffery dozens of kisses and sniffs and it is a shame that Jeffery is just now starting to take an interest in the pets around him.
He still managed to surprise us....like when he decided to become Houdini and continually break free from his locked crate. :)
However, my big red dog's back legs began to give out and could no longer support his body. Walks around the block became walks past our neighbors' house and back. He confined himself to his bed in the living room or his crate at night. In the mornings....he would look okay but by the evening, he would have me almost in tears at how difficult it was for him to just walk up the few steps we have. And when he would collapse or fall over, his big sweet eyes would just look at me as if to say "how much longer, momma?".
We put my big, sweet, wonderful, beautiful, gentle, patient, mellow, funny, loving, red dog to sleep today. I held his head and stroked his whitened face and looked into those big eyes and told him how I loved him and thanked him for being such a wonderful dog and for being a part of our family. It was one of the hardest things I have ever had to do but I am glad I was there with him at the end. Hilde is going to be lost without her best friend....she took such good care of him. But I didn't want him to suffer anymore and I had to do what was best for Rusty.
And now...he can finally meet his cousin Katie and they can play together across the Rainbow Bridge. We will never forget you, Rusty. You will be in our hearts always.

6 comments:
Awww sweetie I am so sorry :( there's not a harder thing in this world than having to make those tough decisions for those we love. We're thinking about you all' and remember, all dogs go to heaven! <3
That, my friend, was a touching tribute. I've never owned a dog, I've loved only one in my life, and I may never own one. But at this very moment, there seems no better, no more fulfilling a choice in life.
I'm crying and I am so sad for you tonight. Sending loving thoughts your way....
oh Jessica, oh my, what a sweet tribute to your puppydog!
I am so sorry you had to let him go...
Aww, Jessica! I'm so sorry! He was such a sweet dog, and this beautiful tribute had me in tears. He was a lucky dog with wonderful owners, and a happy life. I'll keep you guys in my prayers this week.
Post a Comment