Friday, January 28, 2011

Combating the January Blahs

On this dreary January day, I thought it would be a good time to wish everyone a happy 2011!!! Where did 2010 go?! Most of January has been dreary and grey and down right depressing so I thought I would share some happier news to combat the January blahs.

Several people have asked about our Christmas Tree and if it is still up! Hahahahaha. Yes. Yes it is! It stopped drinking water about a week ago and it is actually coming down today...if I can gather the motivation to take it down. It was an absolutely beautiful tree this year and we have enjoyed it very much. But Candlemas is on Wednesday....and it is time to move beyond Christmas! In the house at least.....not in the heart. :)

It is shaping up to be a busy Spring semester for the Pedersen family.....well....for Dave at least. He has taken on more responsibility at the University of Richmond this semester. Dr. Jeff Riehl is taking a sabbatical this semester and asked Dave to take over the direction of the top choir, Schola Cantorum in addition to his directing of the Women's Chorale. Dave jumped at the opportunity. And then....he learned that the Spring Concert would include a newly commissioned piece by Chen Yi (who has composed for Chanticleer) and involve the Grammy award winning group in residence at UR, eighth blackbird....and that Dave would be directing the world premier of this piece!!!! Dave is having a blast working with Schola and he is relishing this opportunity. If you're looking for something to do on Friday, April 8th, consider coming to Richmond for the UR Spring Choir Concert....it will be pretty fantastic! This is a HUGE thing for Dave and I could not be more proud of him!

I have been busy as well....though in a different way. I am still unemployed though as of this week, I will hopefully be volunteering at the Lewis Ginter Botanical Gardens....which I am very excited about! But I have been busy being a mom to baby Og. :) For those who don't know....Dave and I are going to have a baby sometime in mid-July!! :) We couldn't be happier! As of this Sunday, I will be 18 weeks along and everything is going really well. We just came back from an appointment today where we were able to hear the heart beat of the baby....and a VERY strong heart beat it is!!! We find out the gender (yes...we're finding out) at the end of February! For now....the baby is being called Og or Little Oggie. Long (and hilarious) story but trust me when I say that "Og" will not be the permanent name!! :) While we will tell everyone the gender, we have decided to keep the name a secret until after the birth. :) The ultrasound picture below is from before Christmas.

When our thoughts are not of music and overtone singing (which Dave has recently mastered), all thoughts are of the baby. We went on a reconnaissance trip to Babies R Us and IKEA last weekend to figure out what we will need and get ideas on nursery themes. Tons of fun!!! Long story but we feel like Owls have a huge significance to this pregnancy (like I said....long story) so Dave (the birder) is insisting on some Owl themed items. Luckily, we have found a pack and play and Travel System (new fancy term for stroller + car seat) in a pattern called "Little Hoot" that is all owls! :) For the nursery, I am thinking "Noah's Ark" and Dave is thinking "Classic Pooh". We haven't come to a consensus yet. I haven't gained the expected amount of weight for 18 weeks (I actually lost a little weight during the first trimester) but the doctor is very unconcerned about that and we are thrilled that I'm beginning to show.
So watch out world! Come July 2011, there will be a new little Pedersen/Harris!!!

That is all for the Pedersens. We hope everyone has a wonderful February!

3 comments:

Heath and Jessica said...

You are glowing in your picture! As you should be! Funny story, Haylee went in on Monday to find out what she is having in June (on the 17th) & Isaac said, "Look mom, it's a shark" at the ultra sound. Yours doesn't look like a shark. So happy for you!

Unknown said...

Congratulations! The heart beat is awesome, but wait 'til baby moves!!! That is the BEST part :) That is so very neat!

Sean & Julia Johnson.... said...

Jessica- I just wanted you to know how truly happy I am for you that you will be sharing your lives with a new precious baby & that everything is going well with your pregnancy!! Being a mom, myself, I know how precious the gift of life is & at night when I pray, I try to do a group prayer for all I can think of who are carrying life within them that God will bring them healthy into the world. I pray you have health & joy with this new little one :)
Julia