The last time my parents came out to VA for Christmas, my mother very kindly delivered my picture albums that she had kept for me throughout my childhood. I am not a scrapbooker and she is amazing (well, at least in my opinion) so I will someday soon, take them back to her so she can put them in a new scrapbook.....ahem....like she is doing for my sister!! :-)
But, I recently had a project where I needed these pictures and it was wonderful to take a trip down memory lane. I thought I would take you, my friends and family, down that memory lane as well, as some of you are featured!!
Here I am on my true Birth Day! And yes, that was red hair on top of my head. It is a shame that it didn't last longer.

My mom has always asserted that this should have been an advertisement for the little scooter that I was on.


Here I am with my mom.....

....and my daddy....

(Who knew that life lessons could be learned from Ernie & Bert?! And who knew that those lessons would be used in Honor Choir when I was in high school?!! ;-) )

When I saw the following 2 pictures next to each other, I let out a laugh. It is amazing to see how the years change us!

My family at Christmas (about 10 years apart)!

And then High School came....and some of my dearest friends and fondest memories were made in 3 short years.
The VIP Girls!!!
Kindred spirits and bosom friends
(in the words of Anne Shirley of Anne of Green Gables)

When I was a Junior in high school, my church youth group took a 3 week, 17 state tour of the U.S. which was called "The God & Country Tour". It was an amazing time!!! It was the longest I had ever been away from my parents, some of my best friends (including my sister) were on the trip -- see the picture below as we stand in front of Ellis Island -- and I learned sooo much!

Some of my friends made the annual All State Choir in AZ (I did not) my senior year and the concert was held 144 miles away in Flagstaff, AZ. So those who didn't make the choir, made a day trip up to Flagstaff and Northern Arizona University to see our friends perform. We felt quite adult, driving up to Flagstaff, making our way through the college campus, attending the concert, driving back to the valley....all without our parents!

Of course, my memories of these years are always filled with experiences I shared with my dad -- as he was my high school choir director.
Here we are at the Canticle Concert!

And here we are on the night of my graduation from Westwood High School. I gave the closing graduation speech (in front of a graduating class of over 800) and I will never forget my dad meeting me in the middle of the football field (where graduation was held) and escorting me all the way to the podium...in front of thousands of people!!!

Family has always been an important thing in my life. Here, Julie and I are with my Aunt Weezie in our beloved Colorado.

And here I am.....at my parents' 25th Wedding Anniversary celebration! Friends and family from across the country converged in our Colorado Valley at a historic Inn and helped my parents (and my Aunt Weezie & Uncle Joe) celebrate their 25th Anniversary. My Aunt Weezie had, for some mysterious reason, kept the bridesmaid dress she wore at my mother's wedding. It had sat in her attic for 25 years! We plotted a way for me to give my parents (especially my mom) quite the shock. So after dinner, I emerged....wearing the dress! I thought my mom was going to fall out of her chair, she was so surprised!!

When we weren't in Colorado, another favorite family bonding place was Arizona State Sun Devil football games!!! We even followed them during their undefeated '96 season to the Rose Bowl game in Pasadena, CA.
♫ Fight team on down the field......♫

I decided to go to college up in Flagstaff and while there...I made a ton of new friends!!
Like Anna.....

And it was in Flagstaff, where Dave and I were married and lived our first year of married life. Here we are at the Easter Vigil.

There ends our trip down memory lane. I love to reminisce and I thought that some of my friends and family who follow this journal/blog would enjoy these gems of the past!
Coming soon....Blue Herons on the James River!








1 comment:
Thanks for posting that ridiculous picture of me for the world to see! I think you look just like your mom. That was a fun post.
Post a Comment