Thursday, March 25, 2010

Make a Joyful Noise

As you know (or most of you know), Dave is the choir director at our parish here in Richmond. He has been hard at work shaping the children's voices and teaching them good vocal technique. And if I may say, he has done a fantastic job!!! I am blessed to share with you some examples of the fruits of his labor.

The kids you will hear in the two clips I am including range in age from 11 to 15 and there are about 8 of them. These aren't the only kids that he teaches at the church but these are the ones that will sing sometimes during Mass.

This first piece is entitled Alma Redemptor Mater. The kids sing the piece in Latin, reading Gregorian Chant numes. I have struggled and struggled for 3 years to competently read chant numes and these kids pick it up like riding a bike! I am forever in awe! First -- for those who don't know what numes look like, here is an axample of the piece they're singing: And here they are singing the piece:

http://linode.siwko.org/tom-audio/VID00025.mp3

The second piece is a short work entitled Jesu Redemptor Omnium. It is one of the first "part" pieces the kids have done but sticks to the famliar as every other verse is chanted. Dave put me on the alto part by myself with the kids singing the 2 upper parts. However, I did not sing during the chanted verses. {Even singing by myself, I think I was too loud but oh well!}

Here is the piece:

http://linode.siwko.org/tom-audio/VID00026.mp3

I hope you all enjoyed -- and had the sound on your computers up!! :-) Thanks go to Mr. McKenna who recorded the music, Mr. Siwko for transfering it to an audiofile and all the kids whose lovely voices have blessed your ears.

Make a Joyful Noise Unto the Lord!!

No comments: