In the middle of June, Dave and I traveled to the Windy City. Dave attended a week-long Chant conference that was held at Loyola College. I traveled out mid week and met up with my Aunt Mary and her husband, Dave (who live in a "village" on the outskirts of the city) and my family, who just happened to be on a Midwest tour.

Still in Millennium park, we then saw the "face" fountains. This was probably my favorite part of the park. Two large blocks stand facing each other on either side of a shallow wading area. At times, the blocks show rippling water or clouds. But from time to time, random faces appear. They wink, smile, stare straight ahead, and then ..... they close their eyes and pucker their lips and out sprays a shoot of water -- much to the delight of the children below. It is really ingenious and a fun way to stay cool in the city. Of course, I could not stand idle on the sidelines so both my mom and I ventured out into the chilly but refreshing water.
My Aunt Mary arranged for she, my mom, my sister and me to go on an Architectural Boat Tour on the Chicago River. This was probably the highlight of the trip! The boat departed right below the Wrigley Building and cruised up 2 branches of the Chicago River. The tour guide pointed out the different architectural styles used in Chicago buildings as we basked in the sun. We passed directly under the Sears Tower and went next to the spot where the Great Fire started in 1871.
I can't go to Chicago without visiting one my favorite paintings -- A Sunday Afternoon on the Island of La Grande Jatte by George Seurat (see above picture). Dave had never visited the Art Institute of Chicago so it was a special treat to take him there. We had a wonderful time and Dave found his long lost relatives in the "American Gothic" painting. They all look alike -- don't they?!
Dave finished his Chicago experience by taking in a Cub's game with my dad. My Aunt Mary and her Dave (that got to be rather confusing!) have season tickets and offered the tickets to Sunday's night game to my Dave and my dad. But this wasn't just any game at Wrigley Field! This was Game 3 of the Intercity/Interleague series between the Cubs and the White Sox! Dave and my dad got into the spirit by taking in a few pints at the local cubby bar and then enjoyed legendary (or so I'm told) bratwursts in the park. After a rain delay that produced the beautiful double rainbow you see in the picture, the game went off without a hitch. And most importantly -- the Cubs won!!Dave had driven out to his conference and I flew on a one-way ticket so the day after the Cub's game, Dave and I spent 15 hours in our car driving back to Virginia. It was a wonderful trip for everyone and we look forward to a return trip to the Windy City!
2 comments:
It looks like you guys had a wonderful time! I have been to Chicago once for a day when my family drove to D.C. Definately a city I would love to visit again!
Love the picture of dave in front of american gothic! Heidi and I both love Chicago as well. I almost went to grad school there, at Roosevelt. You guys look good! Glad things are going well. Hope we can make it over your way and chant with you both. : )
Post a Comment