Our Buster crossed the Rainbow Bridge yesterday. My Buster-wuster. I never thought I was a cat person. And then Dave, sick of hearing me complain that snakes are not pets (yes, he has a pet snake)....surprised me by adopting Buster and his littermate, Socks, when we lived in Boise, ID. We've had them since they were 6 weeks old. They have lived in 2 states, flown on a plane to VA, lived in 5 different residences....and have seen 2 dogs come and go. Buster was my purring machine. All you had to do was touch him once and he would purr. He made us howl with laughter as he was the alpha pet around his brother, the 70 lb golden retriever, and the uppity corgi. He knew when I was sick and would curl up next to me. He "tolerated" cat fetch. :) He was so good and patient with the boys. But...after 13 years...there had been a drastic decline over the past 2 months.
So now, there is just Socks. (Sorry...but I really don't count Spike, the snake, as a pet.) The cat who wasn't even supposed to come home has survived everyone else. When Dave went to adopt a cat, he immediatley found Buster and instantly fell in love. As he was playing with him, he heard a "meow" and at the front of Buster's cage, was another cat...Buster's brother. Dave didn't even realize that there had been another kitten in the back of the cage. And these two, Buster and Socks, were littermate and the last of their siblings to be adopted. Well....even though Dave had only planned on adopting one cat...both cats ended up coming home with him that day.
What Socks will do without his brother is beyond me. They've never been apart. I hope Buster knew I was right next to him as the vet administered the drugs. I hope he could hear me. I never thought I would be a cat person...but there it is. I loved him so much.

No comments:
Post a Comment