Friday, July 3, 2015

Siren Song

Last week, we had 6 days of 95+ degree temperatures with 50%+ humidity.  It was dreadful.  And you Arizona people can scoff all you want but while your temps were 112 degrees, your humidity was 3-6%.  I checked.  Humidity is what kills me.  I didn't realize that until moving to VA.  I can't even fathom living in FL or the deep South.  I think I would just wilt away.  

All of this made me start thinking of a dream that Dave and I occasionally bat around.  5 years ago, we were watching a World Cup Qualifying match between someone and....the Faroe Islands.  I looked at Dave and questioned even the existence of such a place.  I had never heard of them but he assured me that such a place exists.....and my friends, it is straight out of Tolkein or some fairy tale.  I kid you  not.  

So...we're moving there!  No, no.  Not really.  But we sometimes like to dream about moving there.  We picture what our little Scandinavian boys would look like....running over the verdant hills, in their traditional Faroese clothing.  We picture how comparatively quiet and simple our lives would be and how the beautiful landscape would inspire us.  (That isn't to say that we're not inspired here in VA.)  

Granted, we would be pretty isolated up there in the North Atlantic.

It would be quite the expenditure of funds and time for any family or friends to visit us.  But seriously.....who would be able to stay away?!!!  I see these pictures and it is like a siren song...calling me to go there.





I mean, there are even Viking graveyards!

Wait.  You probably don't know anything about the Faroe Islands.  Let me educate you....briefly.  As you can see from the map above, they sit in between Iceland and Scotland.  They are a self-governing country within the Danish realm.  They were founded by Norse communities surrounding the Irish Sea and the Northern and Western Islands of Scotland.  The Old-Norse language gradually evolved into the modern day Faroese language.  Around the 800's, many Norwegians emigrated to the islands as a result of political upheaval in Norway.  From 1100 A.D. on, the islands were ruled by Norway/Denmark and in 1814, were transferred solely to Denmark rule.  

One would think, sitting where they do, that the climate would be fierce.  But...it is far from it.  Because of the North Atlantic Current, average winter temperatures are around 39 degrees and the average summer temperatures are 51 degrees.  The islands are windy, cloudy and cool throughout the year with over 260 days of rainfall annually.  As a result of the climate and wind, trees do not grow on any of the islands.  


There are currently around 43,000 people populating the Faroe Islands and most of these people have Scandinavian or Scottish ancestry. The main language is Faroese but Danish is a secondary official language.  Their literary contribution has been sparse until recently as the Faroese language was not put in a standardized writing form until 1890.  The people are extremely active in traditional music scenes and hand-crafts and whaling. The largest religious group is the Faroese People's Church....a form of Lutheranism.  But....there are 170 Catholics!  :)  Dave and I have already convinced our beloved Father Marsolle to join us there and become the new priest if we move there.  :)

So....we are moving to the Faroe Islands...at least in our dreams.  :)  Don't get me wrong....we're very happy and content here in VA.  We aren't looking for greener pastures....though, you can't get much "greener" than this.  :)

But it is a little dream that I like to amuse myself with when it is hot and humid outside....or when life just seems a little too hectic.  So...if I win the lottery some day (which won't happen because I almost never play)...you'll know where to find me and my family.  We'll be in the Faroe Islands......

Or in Iceland.....


....or in Norway.....

....or in Switzerland.  

Heck!  If I win the lottery....I could just have different homes in all of these places.  Why limit myself to just one?!  ;)

But I would always return to the Faroe Islands....as I already do in my thoughts.

Dear Faroe Islands....I hear your Siren Song....and I will answer.  Someday.

No comments: