Monday, May 4, 2015

Transformations

Spring is a time for all sorts of transformations.  It is my second favorite season of the year.  And if you can brave the years of inch worm infestations (which is thankfully not happening this year) and yellow pollen covering everything (including your lungs) in a thick layer of yellow dust....then you really should visit Richmond in April.  

This April saw a ton of transformations for our family.  My parents were a MAJOR part of these transformations so I'm including pictures of their recent trip in with this post.  They were here for 2 weeks and I realized that since October, we have had them in Richmond for the better part of 6 weeks! 6 weeks!!!!!!  Dave and I both think that this is beyond amazing and awesome and just simply wonderful for our little boys to be around their Oma and Papa so much.  

Dave and I had our own little transformation as we got to leave the boys with Oma and Papa on three occasions to pursue our own interests and improve our marriage: one night was for JRS rehearsal (they attended rehearsal with us one week and then babysat the next week), one night was so that I could attend (for the first time in 3 years) one of Dave's concerts at UR, and the third time was so that Dave and I could go on a lovely date and have one of the best meals I've EVER had.  Seriously....if you're in Richmond....check out Dutch and Co.  It was phenomenal!  And Oma and Papa loved having time by themselves with the boys.  


When my parents were here in October, we had discussed how the deck needed to be refurbished.  It was either redo the deck or completely replace it in two or so years.  Both mom and dad came prepared this trip with work clothes and a "can do" attitude and a willingness to do some serious manual labor.  SERIOUS MANUAL LABOR!!!!

The deck first had to be prepped.  We were fortunate to borrow a power washer and belt sander from a friend of ours....making this adventure a little easier.  Dave had a blast power washing the deck....and Jeffery who stood below asking to get wet.  :)  Jeffery and I then went around and hammered in all the nails that were poking out.  



And then....came the sanding of every square inch of the deck.  Can I take a moment to tell you how much I dislike sanding?!  If I never have to sand something again, I would be perfectly fine.  Mom and I were given hand sanders and we were responsible for the hand rail and all of the slats and detailed work.  We dodged carpenter bees, climbed into bushes and got scratched up to kingdom come, and by the end of the day, we were covered in a thick layer of sawdust.  When we blew our nose, sawdust came out.  It was delightful.  HA!  Dave had to get to rehearsals so my dad took over the sanding of the deck floor.  He was on his hands and knees, sanding every inch of that floor until 8pm....he had started around 4pm.  

But both he and my mom were insistent that it be smooth so that their grandsons could play out on the deck without the fear of splinters.  They are such models to Dave and me....and to our boys...and we could never adequately show our gratitude to them.  


So the deck was ready.  Two days later, after a lot of rain,......


.....we put the boys in front of youtube trains and painted 2 coats of a tinted sealer on the deck.  And voila!  It was like we had a new deck!!!!!



The finished product is unbelievable!  It is like we have a new deck.  And we hopefully just bought ourselves 10 or so years on the life of the deck.  It is a joy to sit out there now and I'm not as worried about the boys catching a splinter.

But we weren't done.  My mom and I made turned our attention to the guest bathroom upstairs.  We found some fabric that she is going to make into new curtains and we then made a few other changes to the room.  We did a little DIY project on some pictures in Jakob's room that I have always wanted to change.  And then we attacked the living room.  I have never been pleased with the living room set up. It felt that it was just a line of furniture, it did not encourage conversation, and I didn't like the placement of the bookshelves.  So, my mom and I started brainstorming....and I think that we hit the jackpot.


My mom and I (with very little help from Dave) moved all of the furniture around and emptied the bookshelves of all the books.  I love how the new set up has the bookshelves framing the window, an area for conversing, show off the black couch and table a little better, and you can actually see out the window where the big couch used to be.  It just feels.....homier.  :)  The only problem is that we are completely out of bookshelf space......and we have 5 piles (about thigh high tall) of books on the floor upstairs waiting for a home.  So we are now considering having built ins built by our contractor friend.....with a bench under the window for storage and sitting on.  :)  We'll see if that dream comes true.

Besides the transformation going on at the home, we made sure to get my parents out and about to see the transformations occurring in Richmond.  The best place to see that was the Ginter Botanical Gardens.  Mom was in awe of the tulips and we timed our visit there to be on one of the most gorgeous days of their entire trip.  It was perfect!




All too soon, they had to head back west.  And it will be probably be October when we see them next.....which is a little too much time to be apart in my book.  :(  Grrrrr to distance.

But, their "can do" attitude while they were here was infectious and so as soon as they left, we dived into a whole slew of yard projects.....the most fun being a fire pit that Dave built.  We've been wanting a fire pit since we moved in and Dave just decided 2 weeks ago that it was time to build one.  And it is WONDERFUL!  We've spent two evenings/nights sitting around the fire with the boys and it has been such a nice way to relax and unwind and have some uninterrupted family time.


So now we enter the month of May at Oakcrest Manor and we have a slew of big and little projects and adventures on the horizon.  May marks the 9th year that we have lived in Virginia.  May marks our 13th year of marriage.  Every day holds a new, albeit sometimes small, transformation of us, the boys, our jobs, the world around us, etc.  And I for one can't wait to see what future transformations are in store for us!  :)

No comments: