Shakespeare...and Jeeves (PG Wodehouse) says that "The man that hath no music in himself....is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils." I completely agree. This is why it is my goal, as a parent, to expose my children to all sorts of music....and I do mean all sorts. Jeffery is already quoting Beethoven and Bach and loves to dance around the room to Falla and Respighi's "Ancient Airs". And most of the day, we have the light classical music channel playing on the TV which is a lot of baroque and classical chamber pieces....perfect listening for babies and toddlers. His classical music education is coming along quite nicely. Now....on to other music.
In June, when we were still living next to our amazing neighbors, we had dinner with them one night at their house and Adam introduced Jeffery to the group, Daft Punk. (They won a grammy for Album of the Year this year.) Jeffery was immediately taken with one song in particular "Get Lucky" and insisted that Adam dance with him to this song....over and over and over again....for the remainder of the evening. Needless to say, by the time we went home, both Adam and the toddler were sufficiently tired. :)
I acquired the album and started to play it in the car as Jeffery's dancing antics, even in his car seat, just made me laugh and laugh. From then on, Jeffery called this one piece the "Car Song" and insisted that we play it every time we went somewhere in the car. To church, from church, to Target, from Target, to the grocery store, from the grocery store.....the song got old to adult ears very fast. However, the guest singer (Pharrell Williams) is the same singer as his other favorite song, "Happy" so at least there is some continuity and I enjoy his voice.
But then....we reached a turning point a couple weeks ago: Jeffery began to sing the lyrics....correctly, I might add. Now, this isn't a problem if it is "You are my sunshine" or "My bonnie lies over the ocean".....but when it comes to a song that talks about "We're up all night to get lucky".....well, something had to be done and fast. I could NOT have my toddler, dressed in his Easter finery, roaming the halls of our church and singing these lyrics. No, he has no idea what they mean but that doesn't matter. It was time to lay the "Car Song" to rest, once and for all, and direct his listening ears to more.....appropriate lyrics.
Enter....the Easter Bunny.....and iTunes. :) The Easter Bunny approached me ahead of Easter with an idea about making Jeffery his very own CD with songs that he likes and are more appropriate for him to listen to. I thought this was a fabulous idea and was happy to suggest some songs I knew he would like. The Easter Bunny, being the genius that she is :), jumped onto iTunes, purchased the music, and on Easter Sunday, Jeffery had his very own CD waiting for him in his basket. He wasn't terribly excited....until....our first car ride and I played it for him! Complete Success!!!!!!
Of course it has the "Happy" song on it....and his other new favorite, "The Lion Sleeps Tonight".
The CD also includes the Dinosaur Train Theme Song, the Thomas and Friends Theme Song, "You are My Sunshine", "The Teddy Bear Picnic", and the Weepies' "Somebody Loved"....which I used to sing to him when he was little and to this day, her voice instantly calms him (never mind that I'm mildly obsessed with the group).
And a favorite of mine from my Church Camp days and one that Jeffery is now singing most of the verses to:
But the Easter Bunny took it up a notch and found a treasure trove of Sandra Boynton tracks. She is one of our favorite authors for the boys but did you know that she has a handful of CDs with her delightful lyrics and music....and some of them are sung by really really famous people?! Genius!
So, this means I still get to listen to Ben Folds without corrupting my toddler's ears. Win!!!!
It means I get to listen to Alison Krauss (which I would do anyway) and become slightly obsessed with a new song that was written for children but is beautiful.
And don't even get me started on the Gilbert & Sullivan parody sung by none other than Kevin Kline!! :)
Needless to say, the Easter Bunny delivered BIG with one small CD and we are all much happier. Never fear though. He will still get his doses of The Cure, Depeche Mode, ABBA, Squirrel Nut Zippers, BNL, Muse, Beach Boys, Peter Paul & Mary, Radiohead, The National, Mumford & Sons, Keane, Alexi Murdoch, etc. I mean, this is my son we're talking about. :) It's just that those songs will be in very small doses. :) :)
And then....just when I was ready to lay the "Car Song" to rest....a friend on Facebook informed me that a group had recently done a cover of the song and mashed it together with.....the "Happy" song. It is now appropriate for toddler ears. Hmmmm. I wonder if there is going to be a second CD in Jeffery's future. :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7X8ZnmLfM0
My children will have music in them....they will have music in their heart and in their laughter and in their soul...so help me!!!!! :)
No comments:
Post a Comment