Friday, August 10, 2012

In Our Colorado Home Part A

We're home from Colorado.  Hmmmmm.  Honestly, I don't quite know how I feel about that.  I had not been to Colorado to meet my family for 3 years (babies and surprise retirement parties will do that) and Dave hadn't been to Colorado for 6 years!!!  While I hope to NEVER be gone from our beloved valley again for that long...the absence sure did increase our awe and appreciation of the spectacular beauty surrounding us and our extreme fortune (and gratitude) for being there.  Let me tell you....let there be no misunderstanding...being at 8,000 ft. elevation, breathing in that thin, cool mountain air, and smelling those pine forests....this ALL agrees with the Pedersens.  But I'm getting ahead of myself....
In front of the Maroon Bells
Jeffery at the Dallas Airport...ready to fly to Vail and get this show on the road!!!
We flew to Vail/Eagle, CO where we rented a car and drove the 55 miles to Redstone, CO where my family (who had already been camping for 9 days) was waiting to welcome us back to our home away from home.  My parents....my unbelievably generous parents....rented a cabin and invited us, my sister, and my Aunt Weezie and Uncle Joe (who were already out there as well) to join them for a week of bliss and relaxation.  Little did any of us know that this "cabin" was actually Shangri-La and that we would never want to leave!!!!  
Me and mom in front of the cabin
The house was beautiful.  Our bathroom was the size of our bedroom in VA and the shower...oh the shower.  But I digress.  :)  With 7 people and a 1 year old in the house....there was so much space.  We kept remarking at just how many places there were to come together as a group....or if you wanted alone time....escape and be by yourself.  The Crystal River flows right behind the house and the Big Kline Creek runs along one border of the house and empties into the river so you had the sound of rushing water in any room that had its windows open.  There was a HUGE back deck, an enormous screened in outdoor eating area down by the river, a fire pit (which because of the fire ban, we were unable to use), an absolutely stunning front porch where you could get buzzed by the dozens (literally) of hummingbirds, a hot tub and deck area, a chair lift where you could sit and watch the river and the periodic traffic on the highway.  And this says NOTHING about just walking out the backdoor and within 2 minutes, standing in the middle of the river...fishing!!!  :)  Forget Shangri-La.  This was HEAVEN!!!!!
Jeffery checking out the Great Room
I don't know which Jeffery was having the better time!  :)
Jeffery enjoying his new chair that Grandpa Jeff bought for just for him!
Dad grilling (in the rain...again) for the party
I have tried to find words to describe what it meant to me to introduce Jeffery to my beloved Valley.  I have tried...and have realized that there aren't any words that will suffice.  I was first introduced to the Valley when I was 8 months old...with my Aunt Weezie and Uncle Joe helping guide the way.  In my 32 years on this earth...there are maybe 5 or 6 years that did not include a trip to Colorado.  It sounds corny and schlocky but I am in earnest when I say that this is where my soul is at peace...this is where I feel like everything is going to be okay...no matter what.  To be able to travel from VA, with my son and my husband and meet my parents, my sister, and Aunt Weezie and Uncle Joe in this special special place....it means the world to me and I will never forget our trip.  Never.
Hiking with daddy
We couldn't be happier
Jeffery relaxing in his hammock above Big Kline Creek

Finally we're all together again!!!!
We had down time....fishing time...game time (I am now OBSESSED with Mexican Train Dominoes)...and Dave and I even got to go off on a date and leave everyone else to babysit.  We took in the town of Redstone, CO (population of 92 people) which was about a mile from our cabin.  We poked our heads into a few of my favorite shops, got ice cream cones, and went on a tour of the Redstone Castle.  I have been on this tour twice before but Dave has never been and it gives a person such a fantastic understanding of the Valley and its history.  (see Part B for brief history)
In front of the Redstone Castle.  Colorado agrees with me!!
Dave checking out the refurbished Coke ovens
One of the primary joys (well...for those who aren't named Jean) when we go to Colorado is the time we spend in the river with a fly rod in our hands....or the time we spend at Beaver Lake with spinning rod or a bobber and worm on our hook.  Some of my best memories come from these times.
The tradition continues - an evening of fishing at Beaver Lake
The Jeffs....off to fish Beaver Lake
Me....trying my hand at the river behind Beaver Lake
A gorgeous night....a gorgeous setting.  
Since I married Dave and my dad taught him how to fly fish...and bought Dave his own fly rod and waders and vest...it has been my dad's goal to help Dave catch a fish.  There have been several opportunities....and Dave has fallen in many a river (I'm not kidding)...but after 10 years of marriage...there was still this monkey on both my dad's back...and Dave's back.  My dad....being the patient teacher that he is....the man who is always there to help and who will sacrifice his own time to make sure that you are going to be successful...he just continued being the eternal optimist that he is and had faith.

One afternoon, my dad and Dave took off for several hours to fish a stretch of the river that is pretty challenging...and somewhat dangerous given that you're in a kind of canyon with high cliff walls and no shore to walk along and you have to traverse the river...which at times...can be high enough to almost enter your thigh-high wader boots.  HARD hiking in water that is constantly pushing you forward and over slick, moss covered rocks.  Dad says that he doubts even 50 people a year fish this stretch of water.  After seeing it....Dave knows why!!  :)  But they did it...and Dave landed his first rainbow trout using a fly rod!!!  However, it was smallish so he thanked it for cooperating and let him back in the river.  And then that night....now completely hooked (pun intended) on this whole fly fishing thing...he and my dad went back out and Dave brought in a BEAUTIFUL rainbow.  I haven't seen him that excited for a long, long time.  And if you think he was ecstatic.....you should have seen my dad!!!!!  :)

Dave fishing Beaver Lake
Ready to catch some fish
Dave and his fish!
My dad cooked it up for Dave to eat the next morning for breakfast.
And while I didn't catch any fish (though I did land two which then proceeded to get off my line..grrrrr)....I had a grand time, as always, out in the river.  Dad even said that my form looked great which I am pleased about since it has really been a long time since I've done any fly fishing!  :)
Ready to hit the river
Another joy of going to Colorado is the time we get to spend with family and just relax.  Usually, there is no strict agenda for the day.  Just like the Crystal River....our time is fluid.  We spent a great deal of time with my extended family but then had time for ourselves as well.  One day, we loaded up Jeffery and went exploring the upper valley on our own.  We drove up roads that gave us breathtaking vistas, visited the Yule Marble Quarry area (see Part B for further explanation) and walked around Beaver Lake again and let Jeffery put his little toes in the river.  :)  Our time in CO was the perfect combination of activities and relaxation!
Grandma Jean reading to Jeffery at night
Uncle Joe feeding Jeffery in the morning
Grandpa reading to Jeffery before bedtime
Walking around Beaver Lake with mommy
Putting our toes in the COLD Crystal River

An example of EXTREME relaxation: the nightly trip to the hot tub.  Oh my!  I need one of those right now!!!!  Dave and I would put Jeffery to sleep and then we would put on our suits and head to the hot tub.  My parents even joined us a couple times.  The hot tub was perfectly situated on the side of the house and right below an Aspen Tree (my favorite tree!!).  So, beneath the Aspen, you could sit in utter serenity as the jets worked on your sore muscles from that day's exertions and watch the stars and clouds pass above you.  HEAVEN!  :)

The final activity of the trip....and my favorite part of the whole vacation...was our trip to the Maroon Bells.  My family has been up there once or twice before but Dave had never been and the area....the Bells...are just too stunning to miss!  We got up early so we could drive up there (after 9am you have to take the shuttle), strapped Jeffery in his backpack carrier (thank you Kelli for letting my parents borrow it...that and the booster seat!!!), slathered Jeffery in sunscreen (at that elevation you burn QUICKLY) and started our trek to Crater Lake.  We started at around 9,400 ft elevation and hiked to over 10,000 ft. in about a mile and a half.  We were all surprised at how relatively strenuous the hike was....we were all thinking it would be an easy jaunt to the lake...but it was a great day of getting the heart rate going and ascending into even thinner air!  :)

And the views.....you can't beat the views.  When we arrived at Crater Lake, we were surround by FIVE....FIVE mountains that were over 14,000ft in elevation!!!!  THESE, my dear friends in VA that hold on to their Appalachian Mountains as being "mountains"....THESE are REAL mountains.  :)
I wonder if they're deadly?!!!!  :)
Getting ready to hike with Aunt Julie
About to leave for Crater Lake
Have I said how happy we were in CO?!
Dave trying to bird watch....rather unsuccessfully because of an impatient Jeffery 
My parents....some of the most amazing people I know
Me and mom....getting closer to the lake
The Jeffs at Crater Lake
On the way back down
Me and the beautiful Bells
Dave and Jeffery in front of Maroon Lake and the Bells
Putting our feet into Maroon Lake as we wait for the rest of the group
Far too soon....it was time for us to go home.  FAR TOO SOON!  I will admit that I was a crying mess as we pulled away from the cabin at 5am the next morning and started our drive back to Vail/Eagle and the airplane waiting to wing us back to VA; back to oppressive, humid air that is difficult to breathe, back to sea level elevations, back to landscape that lacks pine forests, groves of Aspens, and 14,000ft mountains.    It was good to come home.  Really.  It was good to go out to Mekong that night with "Aunt" Kate and "Uncle" Adam and down some amazing beer and Vietnamese food.  It was nice to be in our own bed...and Jeffery to be in his own room and crib.  But if I've said it once, I 'll say it again....the West....the Rockies....being at 8,000 ft elevation....all of this agrees with the Pedersens!!!!  :)
Happy times in CO

2 comments:

Anna said...

I hope Dave keeps the beard! He wears it well.

Bert and Kelli Millett said...

Wow, that is gorgeous. Like I mentioned to your mom, we might need to head to Colorado for one our next big road trips. I LOVE seeing our old backpack in almost every picture. I'm so glad it got lots of use.