We are renting our house. We have been here for 5 years and while I did shed more than a few tears when we moved in (as I remembered the absolutely gorgeous and brand new townhome we left in Williamsburg)...I have come to appreciate this home and have come to LOVE our neighborhood and general proximity to everything in the city...and our neighbors! Good Lord Above....have we been blessed with some amazing neighbors!
That being said, there are things about the house that irk me: the awful color in the main part of the house (army beige....YUCK!), the single paned windows that don't keep the heat out in the summer and let the cold in during the winter, etc. We don't speak up to our landlords because our rent is fairly reasonable given the neighborhood and the market we're in.....they haven't raised our rent in years...and they were accepting of 4 pets (which is extremely difficult to find).
Four of the biggest issues I had with the house were the kitchen, the office, the guest bathroom and our bathroom....and as of yesterday....I have fixed (for the most part) those issues!!! The kitchen was fixed a couple years ago. The office became the nursery and was fixed last year. The guest bathroom was originally a Home Depot orange but I couldn't allow that so before we moved in, the owners painted it white. BUT....they didn't use a primer...or maybe they didn't do a second coat. Either way...the orange was starting to seep through the white so it looked more peachy than anything and was rather unsightly. So my mom and I fixed that when she was here in November (here she comes to visit and I put her to work! I love that woman!!!)
That left our bathroom.
Our bathroom was a cave. It is a one-butt bathroom (only one person can fit in there at a time) and it is TINY! (How I long for our bathroom in Williamsburg with a walk in closet, shower, separate soaking jetted tub, and double sink counter...but I digress.) Our bathroom has a pedestal sink, a toilet, and a very small shower which we would have trouble getting in and out of if either of us were any bigger than we are now. I know, I know. First World problems....I should be just thankful I have a toilet and a sink, and shower...all with running water and the such. Still...it was an awful bathroom.
Yes, these two pictures (above) are dark but that is rather apt for the space and gives you a true sense of what it was like in this room. DARK. Everything was this horrid, horrid, horrid green. EVERYTHING. The ceiling, the walls, the cabinets, the trim, the window...even in the shower. Awful.
All of it was green. And not a cool mint green or a happy spring green but this awful green...that was chipping away from the ceiling in the shower...and probably has the maximum amount of lead paint could have back in the day. Ugh.
Something had to be done. A change was needed. A change has been needed for the past 5 years but for some reason....I recently became very motivated to see that change happen. So....goodbye horrid green and horrid, Horrid, HORRID bathroom!
And hello beautiful grey/blue color and new beautiful bathroom!!!!!
The walls are a grey/blue....the ceiling is a white with blue in it....and the trim/window is a pure white. And WHAT a difference it has made!
Dave is constantly commenting that it seems brighter in the room....that even inside the shower seems brighter! I can tell you that it has done wonders for my spirits. It took 3 days but I regret not doing this years ago! What an instant and miraculous transformation in so little time!!
[And yes....I am a HUGE believer that it is better to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission! :) Besides, if I have made the house better...I should be congratulated...and believe me...I have made the house better!]





1 comment:
Hurray for the power of paint!!!! :):) It looks GREAT!!
Post a Comment