Wednesday, December 1, 2010

November Happenings

Where has this year gone?! I cannot believe it is already December 1st. I feel so behind on Christmas decorations and shopping but instead of being productive by checking a few things off of my to-do list, I thought that I would update you all on what we've been up to during the month of November.

The month started with us singing with the James River Singers in their fall concert. This is our fourth season with the group and we always love the challenging music and the people we sing with. But I felt like I'd died and gone to heaven this season as we got to sing Durufle's Requiem....my favorite piece of all time!! It was a fantastic concert weekend!! AND....a former member of the choir who has since moved to Boston with her husband came to support us! It was wonderful to see her....and for our girls group to finally have our 4th and missing person (for the past year) back in the fold! For about three years, 4 ladies (including myself) from the choir meet about once a month or so for a "Girl's Night Out". McLean, Laura, me, and Cindy all have a grand time but we have missed our dear McLean as she lives the big city life in Boston and it was wonderful to have her back!

McLean was supposed to leave the next day but her flight got canceled due to some nasty weather in the Northeast. Drat! :) It made for a perfect excuse to spend more time with her!!! So, she came over to our house and Dave and I had a wonderful time just chatting with our friend in front of the first fire of the season! McLean and her husband, Kevin, fell in love with Hilde last year when they came to our Oktoberfest celebration and the spark was still there!

We loved getting to see McLean (though Kevin was missed!) and can't wait to see her again. Dave and I have been meaning to get up to Boston as it is!!

Autumn colors made a late arrival in Richmond this year. But...we've been told that it has been one of the most colorful and beautiful falls in recent memory. The blaze of color everywhere is enough to make this desert girl tear up!

It seemed everywhere you looked, be it the Lewis Ginter Botanical Gardens (see picture below) or just a walk through the neighborhood, brought "oooo's" and "ahhh's" as we were just struck with the beauty of our surroundings.

Dave found a new hobby this November and has thrown himself into researching and learning and exploring his new hobby with much gusto and passion. :) It is called Railfanning. He goes to well known train crossings or stations and waits for trains to arrive and then documents the time they arrived, the engine number, the train number, what direction they are traveling, etc. He takes his scanner and listens for communications between the trains engineers and the station masters which lets him know when the next train is coming. So far, he has only explored North/South bound trains as these are mostly Amtrak or freight CSX trains. West/East bound trains are primarily coal trains. Below is an Amtrak coming through the town of Ashland, VA -- about 15 minutes to the north of us and considered by many to be one of the best Railfanning sites in the country.

And here is a CSX train. I have been out with him once and can report that it is actually a lot of fun. But I grew up with a dad who loved trains so I guess it is in my blood. :) And it is a great chance to see some of the rural and absolutely gorgeous sections of the state -- and except for the gas you spend, it is a FREE hobby!

We had a wonderful Thanksgiving which started with a quiet morning at home and then a wonderful feast with our friends, the Borter family, from our church. Sometimes it is hard being so far away from our family. But we have created a family here in Richmond made up of dear friends and they help diminish some of the homesickness. Skype video chatting also helps diminish homesickness....which I was blessed to do on Thanksgiving morning with my family and I got to see my family and my dad's Holiday Train set up and the putting course he created in their backyard.

And then my Aunt Peggy and Uncle Ron from NYC stopped to visit us as they were on their way back from spending the holiday with my cousin Olin. It was wonderful to see them and my cousin Ingrid who also showed up and their visit helped finish the holiday weekend on a great note!
And now....as if life wasn't busy enough....I have to go rescue Dave as the battery in our red car has completely died. I'm resisting the temptation to become a Grinch but can't help but say "bah-humbug" to that!!! Let us hope December is as wonderful as November was!

No comments: