Thursday, August 5, 2010

Chant in Pittsburgh

A little bit out of order, seeing how Dave's parents came in the middle of July, but at the end of June, Dave once again attended his annual chant conference. Sadly...the venue had been moved from Chicago (our favorite U.S. city) and the shores of Lake Michigan to Pittsburgh. However, this change in location meant an easier drive for Dave and a chance to visit a city neither of us have ever visited.

He left early on a Monday morning...not because he had to get to the conference by lunch time...but because before registering and settling in, he was determined to make a visit to the National Aviary. I promise. When I married him, he was not such a "birder". I really do not know when this happened. :-) He spent all morning and a good chunk of the early afternoon being mesmerized by the selection of birds that they had and by how close he was able to get to the birds. I would share some of his pictures but he took over 250 pictures of just birds so....I think I will move on. :-)

The conference this year was held at Du.quesne University in Pittsburgh and Dave said that it was an excellent conference. He was able to study under an prodigy student of the renowned French organist and composer Jean Langlais. And he learned more chant techniques and methods. The picture below is of the church where Daily Mass
was held.

He almost did not go to the conference this year. With all of our traveling in the late spring and early summer, he just didn't think it would be wise to be gone another week. However, he received an e-mail from a good friend and fellow church musician/conductor, Horst Buchholz, asking Dave to be the bass soloist in the Schubert Mass in G....accompanied by orchestra. Well! You just don't pass up opportunities like that! So...off went Dave's registration and onto itunes went the Schubert Mass in G. :-)

He was also asked to intone one of the readings during the Mass on Friday. Click the link below to hear him. {You may have to right click on it...or as I had to do...highlight the link, right click and choose "Select URL". Play around...you'll get to the page one way or another.}

http://music.dierschow.com/2010Colloquium/25Mass/Reading.mp3

Sunday, the final day of the conference was the big day! I was terrified about leading all the music at our church by myself (which went off splendidly if I do say so myself) but I knew Dave would be probably even more nervous. The recordings below are the movements of the Mass in G that Dave sang in. He almost never sang by himself but rather in a duet or quartet but I thought it would be nice to post the recordings. Keep in mind, these aren't "professional" recordings but I still think he sounds great! {Oh! And whatever you did you hear the above one, do again for these!}

Gloria
http://music.dierschow.com/2010Colloquium/27Mass/Gloria.mp3

Benedictus
http://music.dierschow.com/2010Colloquium/27Mass/Benedictus.mp3

Agnus Dei
http://music.dierschow.com/2010Colloquium/27Mass/Agnus%20Dei.mp3

After such a wonderful, informative, and inspiring week...Dave decided he needed to see one more part of Pittsburgh (a city that he quickly fell in love with). On his way out of town, he stopped by the Phipps Conservatory -- an amazing botanical area in Pittsburgh.

And he said that he found me there.....
HA! :-) I actually kind of like the little guy.

No comments: